Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mule drive parts list for 400 series?

JR

One of the first things I'll need to do once I get my 416 going again is to rebuild the deck and mule drive. The 300/400 series parts manual shows everything EXCEPT for the mule drive! No parts list/diagram, no part numbers for the idlers! I've poured over every page in that manual and it just ain't shown. Any ideas where I can find this info?

Do you have the repair manual for the 300/400 series? Here is a link to one that can be downloaded http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/v_techpubsearch.php#start . Type in 500 in the box on that page it will open up to another and it is about half way down the page.

John; If you are not using a elct. clutch you will need the maunaltype of front mule like on some 300s with a rod that comes back to the seat area. Might have one do not remember, have to look.

All 400's have the electric clutch, not sure how you'd put a manual one on it.

Graham is probably right. The mule on a 400 is only set up for an electric clutch. Just putting a pully on will give full power to the mower deck, even at start up. So thats not good. I'm sure the manual PTO from a 300 will need too much modification to make it fit a 400 to be worthwhile. I have been messing with fitting 300 body parts to a 400 frame here lately and there is a surprising amount of differance.

Actually, I am using an electric PTO. The Briggs motor still has the clutch that was on it when I pulled it out of the Crapsman tractor. I just removed a 1/2" spacer from behind it to shorten the package up as much as possible. The only real difference is that the Crapsman clutch pulley is about a 1/2" larger diameter than the stock clutch for the Kohler. Shouldn't be a big problem tho. And I know I won't be able to use a stock belt anyway. In the manual I downloaded, page 20 shows the shuttle clutch drive. But I looked on back a couple of pages and found the above diagram. I guess I must have somehow skipped over that, since I was expecting to find it in the "back" of the manual where the diagrams for the deck and all the attachments are.