Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

John Deere Identification

maxtorman1234

I'm working on this tractor for the guy that gave me the hondas and small kohler engines. He's been told it was a limited producton model type of thing, I see it has several differnnt colours of paint on it(green, greay, orange, white and blue) appears to have been painted several times. I want to see if anybody could give me an idea of what it actyually is. Type TO584 Serial 022135M . [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0036.jpg[/img] Sure is wide at the back, and leaks quite a bit. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/maxtorman1234/dscf0038.jpg[/img] I found some interesting things when i took the motor out, i'll post other pictures later. thanks,

Max, It looks too me like what you have there is a Model 140 patio series. Deere made these for a few years for customers that wanted a J.D. but did not want a GREEN one.... here are a few examples that I found pics. of, A very nice Red one

An Orange one

And a very nicely restored Blue one

They also made a Yellow one but I could not find a picture of one of those Nice tractor, but Deere put those nasty sink engines in them.....;):D

Yep, you have a 140 H3, with the three separate hydraulic circuits. Very nice. You can run a front blade, mower deck, and tiller simultaneously if you wanted to. The way the hydraulics are set up you could run the tiller with the blade up, or mow with the blade and the tiller up or you could use the blade and keep the mower and the tiller up and out of the way. From the S/N it appears it is a 1969 model. First year for the 140 to have the K-321. Last year for the old style hydro. The hydro introduced in the 140 at S/N # 32,000 is the same one used all the way through the 1992 318. The 140 I had was S/N 020948, build date 6/12/69 was hand written on the frame. Sold it about 2 months ago now. Patio models in good shape can bring more than twice as much as a regular green and yellow model. Lots of them were repainted in green and yellow by the dealers, because during their production run, these other colors were not very popular. Any time you see a green and yellow JD 110/120/140 from the 1969-74 era, make sure you look for a place where the paint is chipped to make sure there isn't any white hiding under it. Lots of guys had patio models and didn't even know it until they knocked some paint off. Some patios were indicated by the S/N, but I'm not sure all of them were. BTW, the 140 I had also had an axle leak, and it was a BEAR to fix. Parts weren't but $20 or so, but the time you'll spend getting to the seal will make up the difference. ;)

Yep, we had one of the yellow and white 110's several years ago. Don't know what my aunt ever did with it. I've still got the old white-painted short block out in the pole barn from when grandpa swapped it out for a new one. It was a decent little tractor.......assuming you like Deere. Kinda funny that when it came to farm tractors, grandpa hated Deere and we always had A-C, but he did have a couple of Deere garden tractors, and never had an A-C mower. Never figured that out.......

Thanks, after loolking at the pictures, thats what I think it is. The first coat of paint is green, then white, then blue. The transmission has orange under the blue. I kinda like this thing, the hydraulics are nice. And the transmission does leak really bad, but the wide rear end is nice for hills. I kinda wish it was mine:) The hydraulics are in the way of everything though, the more I work on it, the more I like the A/C's:D Thanks for the help,

The seat looks original to a blue patio tractor. I think there are aftermarket guys with covers for those, not 100% sure though. I also notice most of the body is blue. On a patio model the hood and seat only are blue with the rest of the tractor being white. If you need more JD info theres a lot at www.weekendfreedommachines.com

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
The seat looks original to a blue patio tractor. I think there are aftermarket guys with covers for those, not 100% sure though. I also notice most of the body is blue. On a patio model the hood and seat only are blue with the rest of the tractor being white. If you need more JD info theres a lot at www.weekendfreedommachines.com
He said it had a green basecoat so that would indicate a regular green and yellow one???? But the typecode T0584 would indicate a patio, because a T0581 was a H1, TO583 was a H3, and the T0584 is the Patio H3 I believe.

This tractor reminded me about the Ertl precision series JD 140's. http://www.binkleyhurst.com/images/John%20Deere%20Patio%20Set%20of%204.jpg They also have one in green with the Brinly implements. http://www.binkleyhurst.com/images/John%20Deere%20140%20Precision.jpg Hoping eventually Ertl will make an AC precision series garden tractor.