Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

It's Dead Jim - 7016 Won't Move - (update)

BrianP

Greetings all, Finally got time to dig into my hydro problem in depth this weekend. I think Al Eden hit the nail on the head when he said the charge pump needed to be rebuilt. To recap: all belts and linkages have been checked. Charge relief valve and charge check valves checked. New fluid in hydro (factory approved ATF) and new Simplicity brand filter. Pin that drives the Gerotor also checked. If Maxtorman found a brand new charge pump rebuild kit on eBay for $35.00, he's the luckiest man alive. Fortunately, I was sitting down when my local dealer told me the Simplicity cost for the kit. Ready??? $474.15! The 15 cents was for shipping. Since I only paid $400 for the whole machine, it's now sitting on shop stands and I'm using my 22 inch hand mower. When your pickup needs new tires, it's hard to justify $500 for a component you can hold in the palm of your hand. By the way, just for laughs, I had the dealer price out just the charge pump housing...$474.15, evidently you can only buy the kit from Simplicity, not just the pump housing. As a last resort, I ordered a new O-Ring thinking maybe, just maybe, the pump is sucking air around the O-Ring. I may also check into purchasing what I need directly from Sunstrand, assuming they're still in business. The Simplicity dealer also mentioned trying a fork-lift service outfit. Evidently these pumps are used on some fork-lifts as well. I'll try hanging out on eBay and maybe I'll get lucky too. Thanks again to all who replied with your various ideas. The helpful folks here pointed me in the right direction...too bad it's a toll road! Brian

Hmmm, charge pump didn't do much for me, just dont't have to wait for the pump to suck oil anymore, other than that, the trans is the same. I think it is wore inside also. It has a bad whine and looses power on hills. It has the proper filter and oil. Ya, $35 and since I got a bunch of other parts that toatlled $250, He only charged $5 for shipping. The new kit has a larger gear inside, its 2x as thick, and a littler larger diameter also. Dosent appear to make a difference though. I couldnt beleive it when i came across the kit, Here it is, http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4334077934&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT ALSO, I can get a whole good pump shipped to you for much less than half that price if youre interested. I have 2 spare sunstrand pumps right now.

Sundstrand is still in bus. but you need to be autherized to get parts from them. They do have district distributers you can get parts from. Most big citeis have some type of hydraulic repair shop for hydrostatic transmisions and can get or may carry what you need for a rebuild. If you suspect serious damage it may be wise to let them go through the whole unit. But depending on how bad it is it could get a little pricey.

You can get parts from one of the following: http://novahydraulics.com/ http://www.flinthyd.com/default.htm