Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trany Question

Brucep

Inside the trany on my 7016 there are two roll pins, one in the case the other in the cover. There purpose is to limit the movement of the shift mechanism. On mine there is a ball bearing pushed down in each pin, I assume to make the pins fit tighter. The repair manual nor the parts manual list or even mention these steel balls although in the picture it looks like maybe they drew them in. Are they supposed to be there? When I opened the trany up one was laying in the bottom of it. What do ya think?

Bruce, You are correct. The balls are in there when you get the pins from Simplicity. There are depth specs for these in the Large frame tractor repair manual. These need to be to the closest together side of the spec, or even .010 up from that. If the shift finger slides between them OK without dragging they are fine when the case is together. When these get worn along with the shift forks it causes the problem of hanging up in gear. If you have tractor hanging up in gear, open the case and pull the pins up. We do it with a Vise Grip and then a slide hammer puller on the adjustment screw of the Vise Grip. DO NOT BREAK THEM OFF IN THE CASE. They are to Hard to drill and you need to have them burned out with an EDM machine. Al Eden

Thanks Al Yes, I see there is a depth spec for them, I had to pull one out a little to hit the spec. Good info, I'll have to note it in my book. There isn't a trick to secure the ball in the roll pin is there? Other than the pin squeezing the ball. As I said, I found one ball laying in the bottom of the trany. Kind of surprised really that one layed in the bottom. They are very tight in the pins.

Would it be possible to remove the pins, and put a shim in the hole, then reinstall the pins to the correct height?

I'm not sure I know what you meen. Do you meen to shim them so they stay at the correct height? They do fit the holes pretty tight without the steel ball in them. I figure the ball must be for a little extra asurance that they will stay in there original position.

Hi, I think you can just take a pin punch and drive them in. You might want to put a vise grip on against the case. I would also pinch from the opening to the back so they could go down easier. I have never in 37 years around these tractors seen one of the balls out. I would look carefully to be sure the pin isn't cracked. Al Eden

Yes Rod I would think you could do that although they are so tight in the holes I don't think you would actualy drive them in farther just by shifting. I do think you could ware them down which would eventualy change the height but I'll bet that would take a very long time to do. Al, yes I did take a punch and drove the ball back in nice and tight and then double checked the height of the pin. I will have to take a close look and make sure there are no cracks or anything unusual in the pin. That's interesting that you never seen one come out. But I do think some one has been into this befor, atleast there are a couple indications of that. For one the axle tube bearing are in backwards, atleast by the book. It says the flat side should be out and it isn't, also I don't think they are driven in far enough which is some thing I have to look closer at. What caused me to tare it down was the axle tube would move about an each in both directions out of the trany. So I thought what the heck. I like doing this stuff anyway. It's the time that makes it dificult. Thanks guys!