Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

t-816 clutch

richp

I need some info on how to set or rebuild my clutch.
Its getting real hard to shift gears, and the instruction manual isnt much help, or I am doing something wrong. I got this tractor from my dad and love the cut, but I cant get it into gear.

Looks like you have the 6216 Simp equivalent (THANKS TO KENT FOR THE CROSS-REF). You have to make the front belt stop turning before you can shift in or out of gear. Check to see that the front belts guards under the engine are about 1/8"-1/4" away from the belt when it is tensioned. Don't grind your gears - they are $$$.

I have had the same problem since putting the new drive belt on the B12. I have to reach back and stop the pulley before shifting. As the belt is getting more flexable it's not as bad. I'll check the guard clearance to see if I can improve it. Tim