Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tire spindle problem

Boney

Well I got the tri ribs on the front and now I have discovered that the spindles are loose. They are loose not at the part that goes into the tire but at the part that attaches to the tractor. Is there any way to tighten this play up ? I was not able to figure out a way. Thnx Herm

You can tighten the up-and-down movement by: (1) loosening the setscrew(s) on the left one, and driving the hub with the steering arm on it farther down on the shaft of the spindle, then retightening the setscrew(s) -- note some have 2 setscrews, while some have one (2) shimming the right one, using flat washers To tighten the side-to-side play (or back-and-forth play), you must replace the bushings in the front axle that the spindle goes into... You'll likely have play in both areas. Doing what you can to reduce the up-and-down play will help a little, at least short-term, with the side-to-side play...