Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear tire prob

Boney

Well I got the new AG's 6-12's on the rear and can't get the rear seat down. I can see a way to fix the back part but how have you guys been raising the front? Thnx Herm

I have 6x12 Ags on my 725 and had no problem with the seat pan.

Don't know what the problem could be. Elon

Herm, Have you possibly reversed the wheels, so that there is more width of the rim inside the hub than there is outside? Note how much of Elon's rim is on the outside. It can happen, if you have both wheels off at once... If so, just swap the wheels from one side to the other, so the lugs on the tires point in the same direction Elon's do...

Elon great looking tractor you have there. Well I was in bed and at about 11:00 pm it hit me. I went outside to take a look at the tractor and yes they were on the wrong sides ( good thinking Kent)....wifey now is sure that i am loosing my marbles. Elon, Kent thank you both for the help...somtimes it is the simple things I forget. Was so excited to get the tires I just figured air valve on the outside,,, thnx Herm

Glad to help, I'm sure we have all made stupid mistakes in excitement! I know I have! Heck I got married twice! lol Elon

Glad to help -- as, Elon says, mistakes happen -- the first time I had ag tires mounted, I got one of them mounted on the wheel the wrong direction. Had to take it back to the service station, red-faced, and have them change it around!

Elon, Better be careful, Melanie may not like that last statement. LOL Becky and I were at dinner on our anniversary a couple of years ago. When asked how long we had been married, I couldn't remember exactly, so I said "too long". You wouldn't believe how long I was in the dog house for that one. We have now been married 32 years. I no longer forget. LOL Herm, Obviously, you have solved your problem. If you ever "do" need to raise fenders for tire clearance, I have raised the fenders on my 61 Wards from the rear, but left the front as it was. This was to allow clearance for the 23x10.5x12 AG tires on the 10.5-inch wide wheels. I also raised the fenders on my AC713S in the front to allow clearance for the 26x12x12 turf tires on the 12-inch wide wheels. Been there - done that, if you ever need assistance.

Herm, it's a good rule of thumb to mount the tire stems to the inside for a couple of reasons. First it keeps them from being damaged if you get into some rough stuff like deep snow/ice or dirt and rocks. Second is that if you put wheel weights on you can still get to the stems to adjust inflation pressure or add air if you have a slow leak.

thnx guys for all the good info, Kirk I think with your reasons in mind I may turn the fron ones with the air stems on the inside. thnx again :)