Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

motor in 7117

bpg

Hello, I am going to be putting a 18 hp kohler magnum (approx 15yr old motor)in my 1979 7117. Being this is a learning experience for me,I am not sure about how the wiring system should be connected cause the original motor (KT 17) was using points and this one is electonic. Not sure what should go to what. The magnum has a white , black and green wire coming off of it. Green is oil pressure, white I think is the kill wire and black is hot? Anyways,looking for some info. thanks

Well for starts I would go to Kohler Engines and download both service manuals and study them a bit. The information is there between points and CDI ignition. They don't tell you that, you'll have to pick it out. Also other members might have done this and can throw in more updated information. This site alone has a 'Fort Knox' (wealth)of tractor knowledge. You need to take a couple of hours to browse around this site to get a handle on the information you can extract.

Th Kt is a battery ignition and the magnum is not. You will need to replace the ignition switch with one that is not for battery ignition.

Hi, We sell a kit for 29.95 that allows you to use the present wiring in your tractor and adapt it to the new engine without having to change the switch. Just connect 4 wires. If you are interested, call me at 1-800-462-2218. If you call from a cell phone, use 319-462-2214. Your cost on the cell is the same and our cost is reduced by 9 cents a minute. We will gladly pay for the calls, but when use a cell we are just throwing the 800 charges away. Al Eden

I will testify thqat Al's kit will greatly simplify your engine swap. I used one to go from a K321 to a 14M. Works great, great instructions and and easy install. (Non paid endorsement-LOL) Mike

Go with Al Eden. worked great for my 20 hp magnum. If you put power where it does not belong you will blow up ignition. I found that the motor will run with out any wire hooked up to ignition. The problem is to stop motor.