Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Moving some dirt

dcw06

We finally got a decent amount of rain,so I mounted the plow and blade and set out to dig a new burn hole.

It was just enough rain to make the sod roll over good.But then it was back to dry dirt.

About two feet down,I started to get into some wet dirt.

[img]/club2/attach/dcw06/7.jpg [/img] On the last pass,it started raining again.It got slick enough I couldnt get backed out.Had to bring out the 8N.

So the rest of the day was spent in the garage.

How is your blade lift setup? I have mine using the regular lift and lift rod from my snowblower, Ikindof like the seperate lift like that.

Carl,Here is a picture of the lift.I had already taken it off to put the mower deck back on.It came with the blade that I bought from a co-worker.Its from a newer model Simplicity.I wanted to be able to use the snowblower and the rear grader blade at the same time.I welded a large steel plate on the lift side to have more strength and bolt it to the bottom of the running boards.The only drawback is you have to take it off for the mower deck.Dave

I think I saw one of those lifts on ebay recently. I've never used my blade to dig a hole like that, but I have used it to fill in a few holes. Nice job on the hole, nice tractor, nice car, nice garage. Guess it is just a nice today. LOL.

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm amazed at how 'vertical' you were able to dig, also the quality of the dirt - much different than my rocky, clay soil, no way I'd be able to dig a hole like that. Great looking Charger. Is it a '66 or '67? My first new car was a '66 Charger with 383 and 4 speed. Spent numerous hours laying in the back watching the stars among other things. Moved on to a '69 Charger with 440 and 4 speed. Kept that one until '80. Wish I still had one of them.

Phan Dad,It's a 66 Charger with a 383 and 4 speed.The eldest was talking about selling,but needed to replace the starter first.Not a fun job.Had to pull the headers and jack up the motor.Still almost didnt have enough room!

Love the tractor and Charger. Except for a hemi a 383/440 is hard to beat. My brother has an original 66 Cornet 440 with a built 440 in it. Beautiful black dirt. You are in "soil heaven" compared to my red clay.

We have almost the same type of dirt here only has some clay, and a ton of rocks. Wish I had dirt like that.

If that good dirt was on the whole property I would still have a green yard up front.South of the pine trees I have sand,gravel,clay and very little of the good stuff. Have'nt had to mow my yard for a month,but this back here never stops growing.