Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dash tower high temp / 7014

B.Ikard

Gents, I finally got my 7014 (Kohler) together,cut the grass yesterday, and could not get over how HOT the dash/dash tower/hood gets on this tractor ! Particularly the dash tower gets so hot you can not touch for more than a few seconds-estimate 140-150 degrees. My leg mistakenly touched the hydro lever guide bracket and it didn't take me long to move it ! Tractor runs fine.... Was wondering if anybody else has noticed this or is it just my tractor. These temps can't do the battery/electrical components much good-was wondering if I need to fab a heat shield over the muffler like on 7100 series tractors? Ike

On my 716H late model, the heat can't seem to exit from under the hood. I notice it runs warmer than my early 716H, and i get warm air on my legs. On the early style, air can go right out the front of the hood, its not so easy on the late 700's, but Im not sure about the simplicities. The dash did get warm, but not hot. Are the cooling fins clear, and all sheetmetal on the engine?

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
On my 716H late model, the heat can't seem to exit from under the hood. I notice it runs warmer than my early 716H, and i get warm air on my legs. On the early style, air can go right out the front of the hood, its not so easy on the late 700's, but Im not sure about the simplicities. The dash did get warm, but not hot. Are the cooling fins clear, and all sheetmetal on the engine?
I noticed I was geting a lot of warm air on my legs thru some drilled holes in the dash tower by hydro lever. Engine is a recent overhaul with all the sheet metal attached. Tractor is a 78 build w/rectangular headlights. Was thinking I might need to fab something like this:

Mowed with both my Homelite T-12 and "16GTH-L" today with the air temperature in the low 90's. Neither tractor's dash or dash tower was hot; maybe you would call it warm. The Homelite's hood was cooler than the 16GTH-L's, but I could hold my hand on the driver end of either hood for a long time. The engine end of both hoods was warmer, and I'd say you wouldn't want to leave your hand on that part of the hood for more than about 5 seconds. Both tractors are Briggs powered. The Homelite hood has an extra layer of metal over the muffler/engine area, about 1.5" air gap between them; the muffler is in the front and discharges straight forward. The 16GTHL uses a "Landlord" style muffler out the side; the hood doesn't have the extra layer of metal, but there are vent holes on top of the hood at the engine end and the Briggs pushes hot air out of them as well as out the front thru the grill. No warm air on the legs either. Don't have any experience with Kohler powered tractors, except for how plugged with oily grass the original dead KT17 powered 17GTHL was.

I have several of the 900 and 700 series ACs in both single and twins and none of them get much more than just warm around the driver. The hood gets hot out on the engine end. Have you put a different grill on the tractor, that won't let the hot air out? If you want to feel hot, drive a Case/Ingersol with the engine in backwards the hot air blow towards driver.

My 3410 Landlord (briggs) also gets very hot after some use. I have removed the engine and cleaned it and it was found to be fairly clean under the shrouds, no oil leaks or build up, no mouse nests either. Still runs hot. Yes the hood is too hot to touch, stays hot about 1/2 hour to hour after running. My late style AC 710 (Kohler) does not get as hot as the Landlord, even though its the same chasis, Though the kohler isn't as tall as the briggs and maybe more heat escapes out the side of the hood.

I did a little checking last night when I got home and the problem seems to be I am getting a LOT of airflow directed up over the muffler instead of out under the sides of the hood or out the mesh grille in front. The bulk of the air velocity seems to be directed right behind the headlights, with only a small ammount exiting thru the grille. I suppose I will fab a heat shield like the later 7100 tractors and try to get the hot air out the grille mesh. Thanks, Ike

My 3410 with a briggs gets hot also. I am not sure why. The engine is a new rebuild and the dash tower gets real hot. I was thinking of trying the shroud over the muffler idea. Jh

My 2000 Sovereign with the v-twin Kohler Command get my legs warm when mowing in the Summer. Apparently a lot of heat goes back into the dash cowl and onto the operator. Hood has vents on top and heat is supposed to blow out through the grill. Don't know why so much heat comes back to cowl and operator. Never noticed this problem with the old B-1 and 725.

Never really noticed a problem with my 716H or 713S. Both now have B/S engines, not Kohler. All tractors get hot, especially with the muffler inside. Hot in front of hood, but never noticed anything out of ordinary in rear. Maybe you guys mow with shorts on, and your legs are just more sensitive. I always wear long pants and work shoes when using equipment. Not a safety fanatic, just taught that way when I was growing up. It is hotter, but keeps your legs from getting torn up by debris and from getting burned. Been there, done that. Along with the tractor also goes the push mower and the weed eater to complete the job. Anyone ever cut poison ivy with a weed eater when wearing shorts? Guarantee you won't do it a second time. Did a lot of things in my younger days. Now that I am starting to qualify for senior citizen discounts, I like to keep the parts of my body, that still work properly, away from preventable damage. I have had a couple of engines, one was off a Cub Cadet, that had the heat ducted all the way to the grille. I had that Cub engine on my 61 Wards for awhile, and the ducting fit directly against the grille frame. Ran the exhaust out the front also. No re-circulating heat on that one.

Rod, Glad you do not wear shorts and frighten the neighbors! :D:D Heat from my Sovereign can be felt with long pants and regular shoes. Due to lack of short pants I have a "farmers tan". Have not had a full tan since I sold the float boat. Sovereign exhaust is outside the hood but the muffler is beneath the hood with a heat shield of top. Do not know why so much heat comes back to operator. Cheers,