Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Well, I'm now a Kohler owner

Kent

I picked up the used Power Trac 425 tonight and brought it home. It turned over 250 hours while I was unloading everything. I'm already impressed with this Quick Attach -- I hooked up to and moved 5 implements from the trailer parked on the street to the back of the house and unhooked them, in less than 10 minutes total, without ever leaving the seat. Now, it's time to clean it up, service it, and start playing with it....

Looks Good Kent, Just repaint the green orange and the black hood white, while tuning it up, people would think it is rare simplicity model.

Gee, with the engine in the rear you won't get to watch when it throws a rod.:D:D.......(that was just for Graham) Nice outfit Kent. I'm sure you'll give it a good workout when you get it to TN.8D8D

quote:
Originally posted by cwm1276
Looks Good Kent, Just repaint the green orange and the black hood white, while tuning it up, people would think it is rare simplicity model.
Yeah, if I could've afforded the larger diesel, at least it would've been red... :D

It will be OK Kent.... As soon as that Sink engine pukesB) you can put a 16 HP Cast Iron Briggs in it and really have a beast.....;):D:D:D Seriously, nice looking outfit, should be good lots of work.

I wish it was sitting in my yard instead. But I'm sure you have more use for it than I ever would. Nice looking machine.

Looks Like you were on a high in the first picture. I think it needs a coat od orange paint. It just looks to much like a Duetz-Allis at the moment.

Never seen one of those before. looks like a pretty sweet setup tho. Need to build me something like that one of these days. Makes me wish I hadn't sold that Isuzu diesel motor I had a while back. Would be nice for something like that! Now you just need to build a set of forks to go on it........;)

Kent, sorry I couldn't help with retreving it. I hope I get a look at it before it heads south. Road trip Rob???? :) A small 3 cly diesel would be the best bet when the Kohler does go. So does that mean the Kubota is for Eli now? Elon

quote:
Originally posted by ehertzfeld
Kent, sorry I couldn't help with retreving it. I hope I get a look at it before it heads south. Road trip Rob???? :) A small 3 cly diesel would be the best bet when the Kohler does go. So does that mean the Kubota is for Eli now? Elon
No sweat -- I found a place locally to rent a 14' trailer with ramps. That's what I get for leaving mine in Tennessee, but I had to divert through South Carolina on business on the way back, and I didn't want to hassle with it... then, this used PT came up for sale. With only 250 hours on it, here's hoping that I don't need an engine for a good, long while... No, Eli will keep his HB-216 (he's doing most all the mowing now) and the Kubota will go up for sale as soon as I get it back up here. Perhaps on eBay, since that's how/where I bought it....

quote:
Originally posted by JR
Now you just need to build a set of forks to go on it........;)
A set of forks is on the wish list, but these two are at the top of the list: For the trees and brush: [img]http://www.power-trac.com/images/Attachments/grapple2.jpg[/img] For ditching, removing small stumps, etc: [img]http://www.power-trac.com/images/Attachments/minihoe1.jpg[/img] Because the hydraulics and controls are already built in, these are a small fraction of what they'd cost for a regular tractor or even a skidsteer... I'll actually be looking to sell/trade the 60" finish mower and likely the 60" 6-way snow/dirt blade also...

Kent the Ditching apparatus doesnt appear to have a swing arm. that means you will have to attempt to re-locate to your line everytime you dump a bucket. But it does look like it will help you.

quote:
Originally posted by Leroy
Kent the Ditching apparatus doesnt appear to have a swing arm. that means you will have to attempt to re-locate to your line everytime you dump a bucket. But it does look like it will help you.
Leroy, while these look like the "mini-hoes" for a skidsteer, they certainly don't operate like one in real use. Instead, they operate much more like a normal backhoe. You simply turn the steering wheel to articulate the tractor, swinging the bucket 45 degrees to either side, to dump the bucket, then turn the steering wheel back to where you were and continue digging... Note the line of dirt that's been dumped in the picture above. It operates much more like a normal backhoe, though you can't swing the bucket as far to the side (45 degrees versus 90 or more for a real backhoe), and you use a different control to swing it(steering wheel instead of hydraulic lever). With a skidsteer, you have to drive the machine to the location where you want to dump it, then try to drive it back to exactly the same position you left from.... Because you're only articulating the Power Trac, not driving it forward or reverse, it's easy to put it back to where you were.

Kent , Very nice tractor you have there.I think you will get your use out of it and more.You can always do a little cutom work for people when you get everything done.

I do believe UDC made a funny.....making a note to self and marking the calender. I knew he had it in him.......lol

Hey Kent, Congrats on finding a used power track, I know you've had feelings for that type machine for several years now. I had considered the next size up when I got the Magnatrac, and I've seen your size machine in person and was pretty impressed. I may buy the quick hitch plate and modify it to fit the magnatrac as I want the tree ball gripper and the trencher attachments. Happy articulating and oscillating.

Kent, Looks like with your machine you won't have to grow one leg a little longer to get around down there in TN. ;)Talking about that, guess your ankle is all better now?? Dan

quote:
Originally posted by arnoldir
Hey Kent, Congrats on finding a used power track, I know you've had feelings for that type machine for several years now.
Yes, and I've only seen one used one this size for sale in New England and it was about 15 years old, with LOTS of heavy use... I feel like I lucked into this one, especially when the PT factory tells me that I got the package for $1500 - $2000 less than they would have allowed for it on trade-in...
quote:
Originally posted by IronPony
Kent, Looks like with your machine you won't have to grow one leg a little longer to get around down there in TN. ;)Talking about that, guess your ankle is all better now?? Dan
I'm still in physical therapy twice a week, but I'm walking without a limp or any "hardware assistance" now...

Good for you, kent! I just started my therapy. Busted my arm last saturday on a job site. And I just picked up oil seals, shims, gasket for my bgb on my LL. Engine is out, now my project---and all others-- is stalled for at least 6 weeks!! As long as it's running for the oct. shows I'll be happy. In case your wondering: sod on top of new clay to correct water seeping into basement of the house. Sod slides on clay, pushed by feet of my extension ladder. 8' (thank God no higher) onto a concrete porch I go, riding the ladder. Did a good job on it, though didn't need surgery, as doc originall thought. Ah, summer with a cast! okay, closing this. typing w/ one hand annoying!

Sorry to hear that Jim, but glad it's not as bad as originally thought... casts are a pain, and leave your muscles sooooooooooo weak when they come off... If it's any consolation, I started the club and Simple trACtors typing with only one hand, while elevating the other one -- from a dumb snowblower accident...

quote:
Originally posted by MDB
It will be OK Kent.... As soon as that Sink engine pukesB) you can put a 16 HP Cast Iron Briggs in it and really have a beast.....;):D:D:D Seriously, nice looking outfit, should be good lots of work.
ANd once the briggs blows, You might want to throw another KOHLER in:)