Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck clogging up.

Bruker

My brother has a new lawn and he's been mowing it with a new Cub Cadet zero turn mower. He said he's having problems with the deck getting clogged up with grass clippings. Do you think Gator Blades would help reduce the build up or will they make it worse?

I found with multching 38 inch deck, the deck would sometimes chunk up the clippings, Dealer put on Gator blades , helped some. Biggest problem was cutting moist grass and too long grass.

Go for a walk before mowing. See if the tips of your shoes get wet. If so, raise the mower deck and mow twice. But then you will have another problem.......clumps of grass. Always hose out the deck after mowing then run the blades for a minute or so to "AIR" dry the deck. It's kept my decks in great shape over the years. I also spray plenty of wd40 on the under side of the deck when it's stored for winter months. Helps repell water and moisture. Just my two cents worth.

I mow regularly with a cub zero turn 44". In good tall tough grass I will commonly have to get off and clean out the chute (Deflector). I have taken the chute off and now it works a little better. We use oregon blades

Hi- I'm using compressed air verses water. My buddy who is in the lawn biz and also is a mechanic says to keep water away from the bearings... The air is cleaning up pretty good with a wire brush. Also intend to paint the bottom with a better protectent paint. -like the WD40 suggestion... also I tried the PAM a few times. Problem with all of this is TIME! I invested in 48" decks to save time, now I spend all my time trying to keep them in excellent shape.
quote:
Originally posted by ZippoVarga
Go for a walk before mowing. See if the tips of your shoes get wet. If so, raise the mower deck and mow twice. But then you will have another problem.......clumps of grass. Always hose out the deck after mowing then run the blades for a minute or so to "AIR" dry the deck. It's kept my decks in great shape over the years. I also spray plenty of wd40 on the under side of the deck when it's stored for winter months. Helps repell water and moisture. Just my two cents worth.

QVC offers a product called mowermate. It cleans under the deck without taking it off the lawn tractor. I have not tried it, but it looks like it could work. http://www.hot50teddybears.com/qvc/HomeImprovement_Lawn_Garden_GardenTools_More/M11041.php

I've tried air on wet grass in the past and i suppose if i had a larger air compressor that was capable of producing a gale force blast it would work well. Although having to wire brush takes the simplicity out of the process. The bearings are supposed to be sealed so water has never been a concern of mine personally. (2 minutes of a blast from the water hose doesnt come close to the amount of wet grass it cuts IMO) And I've not had to replace any bearings from the method I described. And as a side note....to make for easy access to the deck simply jack up the front of the tractor with a floor jack and spray your deck. Time spent cleaning....2 minutes. Unless you have to go borrow a floor jack. But then again, we're talking different methods, different situations and different opinions. They're all good one's, just a matter of personal preference.

Interesting/I agree. It's all about time. I've noticed that my old B112 beat the 6216 with both using a 42" deck; so the B112 variable speed must drive faster. I am hoping when I switch back to a 48" deck on the B112, I cut my time down even more. Clean up time is also a factor, because I didn't clean out the 6216 deck after each run like I do my B112. In the meantime I'm going to be cutting with a Bolens 110 that I intend to sell off my front lawn.