Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

POR15 on Mower Deck

floydmassey

Anyone ever use POR15 on their mower deck? I am thinking of painting the underside of the mower deck with some POR15 that I have leftover from a trailer project and then painting over the POR15 with some A/C orange.

I did my mower deck with por-15 last year and so far so good. My deck was pretty rusty and it came out great. I did not paint the under side orange just the top and sides, I also did my batt. tray with it , Good stuff!!! Tom

I bought some POR15 for my decks also, still need to get out and try it. I'd like to know how it all turns out or I'll share when I get to it... SOON! Just give me more time :)

Someone told me today it stands for "Paint-over-rust". I have the POR15 super starter kit (only has 4oz of paint) and I am going to experiment with it today on my boat trailer. Let you know how it turns out. I wish I had time to get to my lawn decks! From the instructions it is more desirable to paint it on during a VERY dry day and it drys best in high humitity. The instructions say to "First Use Marine Clean to clean the surface, when clean rinse with water and allow area to dry" "Second spray metal ready on surface full strength, keep wet for 15-20 minutes then rinse with water and allow to completely dry." It says "Use of Rust Converter products is not recommended as they effect bonding of POR 15 to metal." Then it goes into the application and says to use about 1-2mil thickness and use 2 coat for normal use and 3 coats for marine use. Hope that all helps.

I put 4 coats of POR15 on one of my decks at the end of last year. High wear areas are worn off, but it is still holding strong up in the corners. Actually, that's what I am most worried about up in the corners where the grass is permanently stuck and holding mosture up against the steel. It sure was a beatiful black underneath when done! One thing I did not do was use the cleaner, etc. I just powerwashed heavily with a pencil stream (it peals paint off) and dried and painted. Maybe with better prep it would last longer. I remember on the can it said not to get it on your hands because it won't come off. I didn't believe them. I believe them now! It seemed to dry faster the higher the humidity - very strange.

Michael, I put POR15 on my boat trailer last year. They were repaving our road and it was all gravel for about 3 months. This stuff held up really well. It did not chip from the gravel on the road and I painted over the frame and it is not rusting anywhere even the areas that previously had rust on it. I followed the directions completely including the prep to ensure it bonded with the frame. I hope it works as well on the mower deck.

Thank you for the feedback. Below is a picture of what I painted with POR15 on my trailer; the trailer is galvanized but not the springs or that one plate where the brakes attach. I am not sure if the paint is going to crack off the springs, they were not priority as that plate where the brakes attach. Next I have two more cans for doing some lawn decks...SOON! Again thanks.
quote:
Originally posted by floydmassey
Michael, I put POR15 on my boat trailer last year. They were repaving our road and it was all gravel for about 3 months. This stuff held up really well. It did not chip from the gravel on the road and I painted over the frame and it is not rusting anywhere even the areas that previously had rust on it. I followed the directions completely including the prep to ensure it bonded with the frame. I hope it works as well on the mower deck.
[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/michaelg221/PICT0038_50.JPG[/img]

The marine shop I'm using says I can't get replacement spring retainers, they only come with new springs... then "we use hose clamps on our own trailers and really they only prevent the springs from twisting out"... essentially telling me no big deal. Interesting? Funny thing, I spent 4-5 hours on this, the owner of the shop tells me ... "now image me telling a customer I spent 5 hours painting your springs? what would they say to that?" Actually I was concentrating on the axles and the springs were an extra. New springs were cheaper than my time (at boat yard prices of $68/hour). So was it worth it? I think yes. :)