Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

buying simplicity 725 for b 110 parts?

pickle

I'm looking to restore my b 110 and cam across a simplicity 725. was wondering if the 725 is better off whole or ok for parts. I a'm an owner of three b models but all need restored. so if i can pick up any thing cheep i will. but i'm worred that the simplicity is worth more than just parts. the tractor is complete, but gear box is frozen and has not run in years. But for 100 bucks i dont care. i'm still going to buy the 725 , but don't want to ruin a good tractor for just parts. any info would be great. sorry if i'm not posting this right this is my first time as a member

I'd look for another B to part out. The rarity of the 725's in good shape is getting harder to find each day. There are plenty of parts worthy tractoras out there to find. Also, even though there are some interchangeable parts. Fot the most part any sheet metal and rear end, engine is completely diff.

Welcome to Club Mike. Your post is in the right place. The 725 and the 110 only share a few parts in common depending on the configuration of the 110. The straight 3 spd 110 will have more of the same parts than a 110 variable. I could write a pretty long paragragh on the differences but suffice to say they are numerous, some are subtle while others are more obvious. There was a decent 725 on e-bay just in the last week or so that brought $600+ with a couple of basic attachments. I personally would rather sell to someone who needs the parts to resurrect another 700/725 than to part one out since you always end up with a bunch of extra parts that everyone already has on their shelves. Good thing your not from near here because I'd probably buy it too!

As an owner of 7 A/C & Simplicitys take it from me you not only have to be able to restore you have to be mechanically inclined and have to know the cost of the needed parts and labor if you cant repair the problem your self.As a starting point your frozen gear box parts used will cost $55 if you can find them and this could be just the beginning.If you dont have the experience and the knowledge you will overlook many hidden problems and this tractor will soon turn into a big money pit.I just purchased a Squire 10 with mower deck and tiller for $125.I drove it around the yard it smoked like crazy and the carb leaked so I ripped it apart and will be parting it out for more money than I could ever sell it for if it were restored. Dont get me wrong, to restore 1 or 2 is alot of fun and give you agreat deal of satisfaction. Welcome to the club and good luck!

Being the 700/725 is my favorate stlye tractor, I would say buy it put it in the back of the barn untill you need another restore prodject. If you need things, you will be quite suprized what you will find here on this site. Try posting in the classifieds. Most of our members look thru them every day. Welcome to the club. Elon

Personally, I hate to see a complete tractor being parted out. To me, that's an opportunity for someone else to have a enjoyable old (quality) tractor project that's been wasted. Money isn't everything.