Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Anyone using Deestone Super Lug tires?

Kent

If so, how do you like them? They seem to be the only brand of 6-ply lug tires in 23x10.50 size that I can find...

Why would you want to use a 6 ply lug tire? would not a 4 ply be better? they can be gotten in a super lug tread through Cedar Rapids Tire $58.40 each or at M.E. Miller in a 2 ply $61.00 each. I would do a search on the net for different tires befor I committed to a 6 ply, seems rather stiff of a tire to me.

I think if you knew what Kent is going to use them for, you would recommend 8 ply or skid steer tires.

quote:
Originally posted by lonnyb
Why would you want to use a 6 ply lug tire? would not a 4 ply be better? they can be gotten in a super lug tread through Cedar Rapids Tire $58.40 each or at M.E. Miller in a 2 ply $61.00 each. I would do a search on the net for different tires befor I committed to a 6 ply, seems rather stiff of a tire to me.
On one of these, with a loader bucket or other attachments, and hydraulics rated for 800 lbs... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/attach/Kent/pt_left.jpg[/img] I can't even find 6 ply tires in 23x8.50x12... I can find industrial/loader tires, but they're 4 ply and rated for less weight than the Deestones...

You might look into the tires filed w/ goo so if you punch through you don't go flat. That or a semi solid tire. I don't think you'd have a problem w/ a load on the 4-ply if the ground is cleared of small stumps. I am gueseing thats what your trying to avoid.

If I remember right the Deestones are a metric sized tire so they are not a true 23x10.50..They are a little shorter and narrower than the other USA made tires..My friend (member Bunky) has the on a Simplicity 3410..He was a little disapointed to have to cut alot off from his new tire chains to use them I the Deestones..Over all I think he is satisfied with them..He got sick this spring and turned green & yellow:D :D so he doen't get on this club a whole lot..but I am sure if you send him a email he would be happy to send you his thoughts and pictures about them... Last time I looked www.tiresunlimited.com had 6ply Carlisle True Power..Also have seen them on ebay store Rustybore tire store.. Well I just looked and they do not have them listed anymore..Maybe when I seen them they was on clearance or something because they was alot cheaper than the 4ply..

The Deestones are Decent tires for the money and as mowerman1193 Stated they run a little small on height, But other then that I don't have any problem I didn't really motice it until I bought the new Chains and had to cut quite a few links off...

I've got a set of Galaxy Super Lugs (I think I remember that name correctly) on my JD 140 that were originally on a Ditch Witch or similar machine in the 23 X 10.5 X 12 size. The tractor isn't handy right now so I can't say for sure but I'm almost positive they are a six ply or better as these machines are used constantly in rough areas. I know the sidewalls in them are stiff enough where if you let all the air out you'd never know it. I've looked for another set on the net just to see if I got rooked or not because I paid around $75 for the pair well used. I also was wondering what a new sets tread depth would be because mine made the tractor drop about 2" overall in the rear because of all the worn off tread. They are fantastic tires and very flat or square to the ground but you have to have at least 10" wheels to even think about mounting them because the sidewalls are so stiff. I was a little disappointed in the height but they sure make that tractor look and feel like a big one. I'm thinking originally they had to have had about double the tread depth they do now and they'd be awesome tires for the back of any garden tractor IF you could get 10" wheels under your tractor. The wheels I used which were 10" wide off the 140 wouldn't fit any of my RBT because they rouched the PTO clutch. Anyway, I found some and they were around $200 apiece I'm thinking but not absolutely sure as it was awhile ago. If you've got gouges or damage that could possibly be repaired on your Deestones you could bring them to a Bandag dealer. The guys there might be able to help you out way cheaper than a new tire. I knew a guy that built special tires for off road racing trucks that worked in a Bandag shop that could do miraculous stuff with 'bout any tire. Richard

I've had one puncture already on the right front, while I was moving back the pile of dirt that I started to dig out with the 2012/loader (I posted some pics then) and later finished with the Kubota. That area was used as a trash burn/dump long ago and is full of broken glass and such... When I took the wheel off, I saw that it is a Tru Power 4-ply. I had a tube put in it and put it back on last night. It seems to be doing fine after about an hour more use. But, thinking ahead to working in the woods, where there's lots of stumps, I'm a bit concerned. We've tried to cut all the little ones as close to the ground and as "square" as possible, so there's no sharp ends sticking up, but the mix of rotted leaves/pine needles/topsoil packs down fairly quickly and leaves the stumps sticking up an inch or so... Prime targets for a puncture, especially on the front, while carrying the weight of whatever's in the bucket, plus the weight/force that gets tranferred/shifted from the rear of the tractor to balance that heavy load. Just speculating -- when empty, the front tires probably don't have 300 pounds of weight on them (the tractor is rear-end heavy), but when the bucket is fully loaded and lifted, there's proabably close to a 1,000 lbs per wheel to carry. It seems a 6 (or 8) ply, especially on the front, would be a much better answer... I did find Carlisle Super Lugs in 6-ply, but they don't have nearly the number of bars/lugs that either the Tru Power or Deestones have. They'd probably work great in loose dirt, but I think Power Trac purposely used the ones with more lugs on them to prevent the lugs from digging holes when you articulate the tractor back and forth. The Ditch Witch tires look like they might work -- I'll look at them, but I'm guessing they'll be VERY expensive... Thanks for the feedback on the Deestones. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do. This could be a very expensive "insurance policy." BTW, these have 8.5" wide wheels on them...

Kent, Long ago while working in a lime quarry, they had on a big loader with a set of chains on all 4 wheels. I think you might call it kind of a chain mall(sp)deal, all the links connected sorta like a mat running around the tire. I have also seen the same kinda thing on skidder tires for woods work. Was Long ago, but the price of the ones on the quarry loader was VERY high. I think they were imported from Germany. But I think you might be able to fashion up something along these lines to protect your rubber, and perhaps help your traction on those hills. Also, I was reading on another forum about using articulated machines on hills. BE CAREFUL!! It seems that turning on the hillside really changes the geometry of your "footprint" as far as balance goes. Joe

Kent there's some super lugs on www.gearworksmfg.com that are a little taller 26x12x12 ( 25 1/2" actual ) 8 ply rated at 3020# each for $87.25. Maybe the gained height would be worth it seeings how you'll be running through the woods. I've bought tires through them before and had real good service. -Paul

The name of the tires I have are Galaxy Super Trenchers if I'm thinking straight. Don't know if they make them in a 8.5 wide though. It looks like the tread on your tires is fine so I'd try sticking with the matched set for now unless you've got money to burn. Those tire guys at a Bandag dealer or even a tire repair shop could put a boot in or completely rebuild a section on these low speed bias tires without too much expense.

quote:
Originally posted by Mick14
Kent,Your machine in the picture, What is it ? never seen one like it around here.
It's a Power Trac... Here's another topic where I talked about getting it: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=50717

Thanks for the pic Kent. I was curious also. I like that. Looks like you could do some serious work for that size machine.

Another thing you might consider is putting tubes in with a layer of conveyor belting to protect against punctures. We did this on farm tractors with tubeless floatation tires that were susceptible to punctures.

quote:
Originally posted by CarlH
Another thing you might consider is putting tubes in with a layer of conveyor belting to protect against punctures. We did this on farm tractors with tubeless floatation tires that were susceptible to punctures.
Rod suggested that in a PM with me, also. I'm not sure where I could find some... I put a tube in the first puncture, and have since had to air up another tire (left rear, this time). I didn't find a puncture, so it must be a slower leak of some type -- I haven't removed it yet to try finding it. It looks like I have to do something. I'd wanted to load my rear tires with WW fluid for weight, but with this continued problem of leaks, that's not possible. I considered putting "slime" in them, but that means I couldn't load them... with added "puncture resistance" and tubes, at least I could load them then... The sad thing is that they have pretty good tread left -- probably 80% - 85% of original.

Kent I looked at the ag's on the back of my 2110, they're Powermaster flota-tire 6ply rated 23x10.50-12. The only problem is that they came from e-Bay and may be an odd pair of NLA stock. Since I haven't seen anything like them from that seller recently.

Kent, If you take your tires to a fork truck dealer they will fill them with simi ridgid foam. I did this with a Waldon 4 x 4 loader [a little bigger than your machine] that we used in the fab shop where their is alot of sharp steel. It worked great and they still worked good in the dirt and snow. It has been my experance that the more ridgid the tire the faster the tread wears and you reduce traction on soft ground and slippery surfaces. I know this is a little nuts but he Amish around here have a MTD with steel wheels and lugs on the rear wheels that they made from gas main pipe and a steel center. They mostly use it with a dozer blade to clean barns but I have seen them mow with it. Just think mow your grass and areate your lawn at the same time.LOL

My boy locally here can get Titan 6 plys,they are for skid steers we use em trac pulling they work great,run em with a pound or 2 of air thats it!,,they are SUPER TOUGH! I can get you prices if interested? 23X850 or 1050X 12's?