Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

But Mom, It was free...

Nick

A neighbor down the road put this out for free by the road, How could I say no?

A 1977 Roper with a 11 hp Briggs and a Hi-Lo three speed tranny that was meticulously maintained and it shows. Engine has no smoke, and runs good too. He welded up two trailer hitches on the front to pull around his trailer. Hey doesn't Dan like these tractors?

A Roper that escaped being sold as a Crapsman, eh? The older Roper/Crapsman tractors were actually pretty decent machines. Those Peerless transaxles are still pretty well regarded. The older cast-iron versions are the best, but the aluminum housing versions still have cast-iron axle shaft housings and are plenty tough. I have a couple of them around here. A free tractor is always a good thing!

Nice grab. That looks to be in immaculate condition. The peerless trannies are nice with the hi/low. They are unfortuately, not indestructible. I destroyed my second one on last Tuesday pushing some debries in the woods. Problem I have is putting too much weight on them (too much traction with dual lugs) getting too little spin and snapo. I was surprised that it broke having it in 1 low and really not under the kinds of loads I've taxed it at before. Just one of those things I guess. I ended up using the Landlord to finish pulling the junk I was pushing before the Sears broke down ;)

quote:
Originally posted by goatfarmer
Nice tractor! Why did he get rid of it?
He told me lack of room. He told me he had to keep moving it everytime he wanted to get something out of his shed. For those who have seen Kent's Soverign this thing is pretty close to being that clean. To bad this tractor isn't a Simplicity otherwise I'd think I be in heaven. :D