Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

18 HP Kohler Magnum losing compression

cwm1276

OK guys, my dad has a 718 grasshoper with the 2nd magnum in it. The first lost compression completely and now sits on the ground near this mower. The 2nd engine is losing power. What would it take to fix, what do I need to share to diagnose, what does it take to convert this to a command engine? Al where are you, I liked your kit for the the 7117 any clues for this one?

Carl, I would need to do some research on this, I have a new one with a Command and 1 with a Kubota diesel in it in stock. We traded for one a couple of years ago from a cemetary and church with an M18 in it. It had its second M put in at 2500 hours and had about 4000 total when we got it. I don't know what repowering it would cost, but many of the M short blocks are now in the 1900 to 2300 range depending on the spec, so repoering may be a desireable option. Nothing is impossible if you throw enough money at it. Seriously, I don't know, without some research, about the clutch situation, the rest should be doable without it being a major disaster. Where are you located, I might be interested in working a special deal on this as we have talked about the Grasshoppers and doing a kit for them. There are some length issues when going to Commands as well as some clutch issues that need to be investigated before going forward. I would need to research what spec number engine I would want to build around, and the muffler will not be cheap. Does yours have a rectangular air intake stack that sticks up above the engine? Is yours a chain drive or does it have the gear drive hydros, does yours have an electric clutch or a 1 or 2 belt tightener. I would expect it (718) to have no chains, and to be more friendly to a Command swap than an 1818. Are the M engines rebuildable or seriously broken? We got 2400 for the Cemetary mower, but it was well maintained and whatever it needed it always got. If you have a chain drive, it could still be worth repowering if it is still in good shape and the chains and sprockets are good. Why don't you give me a call at 1-800-462-2218 land line, or if you use a cell phone, call me at 319-462-2214, if you call me from a cell on the 800 number, your cost is the same and I have to pay 8.5 cents a minute. I don't object to paying for the call, but I hate to pay it when the only one that gains is the phone co. Al Eden

4000 hrs is a lot but I would go with diesel,2300 in most eng books,forget those newer gas engs they are cr#p,, imo,typical shoving down the throat of the public with inferior made stuff briggs too,get 10 blades of grass stuck in head it blows up gotta have a whole football size nest for the old stuff to let go its so sad but true.show me any of this new stuff lasting over 10 yrs of heavy use,,and I'll change my mind,

AL, this is my dad's mower, I will have to check on a couple of your questions but it is about 15 years old and bet 3000 hours. Mows an acre of lawn and I mowed a 3 acre cemetery with it for 3 years. I don't think it has any chains for the hydro drive. It does have the electric cluch on the back and yes it does have a large rectangular air intake stack that comes up right behide the seat. Also Al, we are in Northern Illinois near Freeport, google puts us 3 hours from you. I will have to see if dad would be interested in that special deal. We just were talking last night that a replacement mower is 8-9 grand and the only problems with this one is the engine and it needs a new spring on the deck lift. I don't know about rebuilding that is why I posted the question, does this model rebuild well? They are both just over time losing power, no rod or such noise or came out of the block. How can I better diagnose what is wrong with them? Thanks guys, for letting me digress a bit with this off brand tractor just figured I knew the best group to help me with the engine problem.

We are kindof leary of ths motor with two of them seeming to have the same problems. At the cost of total tractor replacement, a command engine expense would only be a portion of that replacement. I figured you (Al) would have the best knowlegde of what it would take to replace it with a command. I will be speaking with my dad this afternoon on what he might want to do. He is currently out detassiling corn so he is a little hard to get a hold of for a couple of weeks.