Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I need more stuff that eats Rust

arnoldir

Help ! I believe it was Woodydel who provided a sample of white powder that is mixed with warm water to disolve rust. I need enough to make a minimum of 5 gallons, and did not get an answer back from my Email to Woody. Does anyone else have info or supply contact for this stuff. I have a big pile of cast iron baseboard just back from the sandblaster and I want to give them a bath before priming them.

I've been using pre-mixed fluid that you can get at a marine store,around here its West Marine,looks like windshield washer fluid,smells like phosphoric acid.drys in about 24hrs. ,turns the rust black and its ready for paint.

Mick, I got some stuff like that at Advance auto to coat my bare metal before primeing on my pick up. I looked in the shop today and it's called Right Stuff. I don't know how it compares to other disolver, but it seemed to bond well to the metal and It prevents moister from getting to the metal.

The stuff Woody had would dissolve the rust. I put chrome parts in it and they would come out clean. However if you left it in too long it would also dissolve the shiny chrome off and leave the pieces copper colored. I asked about more a long time ago and after numerous inquiries on it as told it wasnt for sale any more.

Do an Internet search for "rust remover". I think you will find Woody's source along with several others. I did this a while back. Good luck,

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the responses guys. Question for Roy, The only powder form product I've found so far is VpCl-425 made by Cortec and available through Distributer KPR ADCOR. Material in liquid form most closely resembling what Woody was selling based on the non toxic biodegradble description would be Evapo-Rust. Am I getting close ? Thanks for any guidance. I was unable to get a referral for this material from Woody :-(

arnoldir, Don't know what exact product Woody was selling. Phosphoric acid works good on thin rust (converts it from iron oxide to iron phosphate). All I know on the subject. Sorry I cannot be of more help.