Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Al

Rust removal by electrolysis ??

Recommended Posts

Al
Hi, A year or so ago, several people were investigating rust removal using electrolysis. What happened, Did anyone have any success? Would like for those that tried it to share your experiences, both exciting and depressing on this subject. Al Eden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JR
The guys on the Old WoodWorking Machines list I'm on successfully use this method all the time for cleaning rust off of antique machinery parts, and it's a frequent topic of discussion. I believe you use baking soda mixed with water, and a battery charger. I know there's detailed info on the mothership site; www.owwm.com.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IronPony
If you pull down the discussions menue and go to the bottom you will find the search tool. Once you click on this item be sure to check the "archived" box before you do a search using "eletrolysis" as your search word. You might try other search words also. Just be sure to check the "archived" box to get a full search. Dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PhanDad
I believe Al's asking if any readers of this site have tried using electrolysis in the last year, and if they have, to report the results - the good, the bad, or the ugly. I read the electrolysis posts last year with interest, but haven't tried the method - I guess I'm a grind, brush, sand type of guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BLT
I did mine right after Roy and for practice I used an old carpenters square. First go around was poor as I used strapping steel for the sacrifice material. The plating on the strap steel caused very slow reaction. I then joined shipping straps that we get transmissions with by tack welding. They were not plated and the steel was not as brittle as the strap steel. This combination worked better, by that I mean quicker reaction from the 6 amp battery charger and it took away the rust in about 3 hours. I have all of the material plus a 55 gallon plastic drum for bigger parts, but now have nothing to clean. I dumped last years spent solution in my small garden and my pumpkins have not noticed any difference. I think the sacrifice rods are the trick to making things work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online (See full list)

    • Ronald Hribar
  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Recent Status Updates

    • SonOfCreepfeed

      SonOfCreepfeed

      Thinkin' about this old girl.

      · 3 replies
    • Dean McFadden

      Dean McFadden

      Good morning peeps! I’m always searching for helpful information with my AC collection. Hope to find out new information and pass on my own experience in restoration. Here are some pics of my babies. I’m still looking for front rims for the 410 so yesterday I put the 310 wheels on took it for a drive. Working pretty good but still needs some carb work. Gotta get the 310 running next. Have a great day!😁
       

      · 1 reply
  • Adverts

×