Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rust removal by electrolysis ??

Al

Hi, A year or so ago, several people were investigating rust removal using electrolysis. What happened, Did anyone have any success? Would like for those that tried it to share your experiences, both exciting and depressing on this subject. Al Eden

The guys on the Old WoodWorking Machines list I'm on successfully use this method all the time for cleaning rust off of antique machinery parts, and it's a frequent topic of discussion. I believe you use baking soda mixed with water, and a battery charger. I know there's detailed info on the mothership site; www.owwm.com.

If you pull down the discussions menue and go to the bottom you will find the search tool. Once you click on this item be sure to check the "archived" box before you do a search using "eletrolysis" as your search word. You might try other search words also. Just be sure to check the "archived" box to get a full search. Dan

I believe Al's asking if any readers of this site have tried using electrolysis in the last year, and if they have, to report the results - the good, the bad, or the ugly. I read the electrolysis posts last year with interest, but haven't tried the method - I guess I'm a grind, brush, sand type of guy.

I bought the tub and the washing soda but have yet to try it. I'm real close to so I'll post some results. Maybe I better take some before and after pics also.

I did not fare too well on my project. Think I needed more amps than my battery charger would put out. I'll have to try again sometime.

I did mine right after Roy and for practice I used an old carpenters square. First go around was poor as I used strapping steel for the sacrifice material. The plating on the strap steel caused very slow reaction. I then joined shipping straps that we get transmissions with by tack welding. They were not plated and the steel was not as brittle as the strap steel. This combination worked better, by that I mean quicker reaction from the 6 amp battery charger and it took away the rust in about 3 hours. I have all of the material plus a 55 gallon plastic drum for bigger parts, but now have nothing to clean. I dumped last years spent solution in my small garden and my pumpkins have not noticed any difference. I think the sacrifice rods are the trick to making things work.