Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A-C 620

hmboyer

I have an opportunity for an Allis Chalmers 620 that has been sitting for "several" years. I think that means about 10. When I tried to use a portable jumpstarter to see if the engine was free to turn without compression, I got the solenoid sound but nothing else. I figure there's every chance the starter is bad, but how can I move this engine by hand to see if it's free? Thanks, Heath

disconnect the spark plug and reach under and try to turn the pulley on the driveshaft by hand. make sure any belts on the pulley are slackened or off.

In order to turn the engine with the front pulley you must engage the electric clutch, otherwise the pulley just free spins.

I'm too young for these senior moments...Scott is right--I thought the 620 was a smaller RBT w/ a vertical shaft when I responded.

quote:
Originally posted by Scott Salmons
In order to turn the engine with the front pulley you must engage the electric clutch, otherwise the pulley just free spins.
Thanks, Scott. The machine is two hours away, so I'm working from memory here. I saw the elec clutch. But couldn't figure out how to engage it. The outer ring seems fixed, and the inner ring spins free. If it's engaged, what do I grab to turn it?

Scott, You will need to hook up the battery, and there is a switch on the dash that reads front PTO you should hear it click on once engaged you should be able to spin the engine then, if that does not work, remove the 1 bolt from the oil cooler 7/16 i think, and carefully move it off to the rt side you can then get at the rear pully to spin the engine if needed