Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine Replacements for B Series

tej

Have questions about some engines. Briggs model 256427-1028 11hp synchro-balanced. Will this slip in with no alterations to the tractor? Kohlor M125 12hp and M165 16hp will these engines fit in the frame. Robin EH34 11hp what about this one. Does anyone have any experence with any of these engines? Tim

Am I the only one interested in engines that would fit a B series? I was also wondering if it would be posible to fit a Briggs twin into the frame. Tim

Tim, I would love to find a larger replacement engine for my B-1. The only thing I dislike about my B-1 is a serious lack of power. I once saw a B-1 with an OHV Honda, 11 to 13 hp I think, installed. It looked like it involved a lot of modification and didn't really fit properly (things hanging out; cables looping around outside the hood, etc). I have an 11 hp generator engine (B & S synchrobalanced) but it is too wide front-to-back. To make it fit the bottom, center grill support would have to be modified/relocated. The generator engine also has an odd bolt pattern on the bottom of the crankcase. With enough work and modifications it may be possible to stuff almost anything in. Given my lack of time I prefer to find an engine that is basically a "bolt-in". Plus, I don't want to butcher the tractor to make something fit. Looking at my B-1 parts manual I have noticed the replacement frame is the same for the B-1, B-10, etc. One difference between the B-1 and larger engined frames is the hole through the side for the oil drain plug. The frame for the larger engines has the hole higher and a "C" section bolted above it. Let me know if you find something that fits. Roy

I have a 16 horsepower briggs 2 cylinder engine and it would fit in my B-10,B-112 and my 912 hydro, it is also for sale E-mail me if interested. -BradW

Tim, This doesn't answer your question, but someone e-mailed me a few days ago and stated they had seen a brand new 243431 10HP Briggs at Padgett's Small Engine Warehouse.... Thought I'd pass this on.... Kent[A href='http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/engines.asp']http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/engines.asp[/a]