Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb Help Please

Boney

Q1 Talking about a 725, I would like to clean the carb without taking it off, it has oil/gas on the outside of it with dirt that I would like to clean. I see where many here cover the carbs with bags and such when washing the tractors. Does anyone have any suggestions or cautions when trying to clean the outside of the carb while it is on the tractor? Was thinking of using a Gunk remover type cleaner. Q2 When I remove the round fiber filled air filter at the top of the carb there is oil sitting {maybe 1/8" deep} in a "tray" that is part of the aircleaner. Is this oil suppose to be there ? Thnx for any help Herm

I would just take a small wire brush and a rag with some carb cleaner on it, and scrub it. I dont think oil is suposed to be down there, but I don't think it will do anything. I would think the oil is too heavy to be sucked in. Maybey take a rag and stuff it down the tube to suck it up. Hope this help. Elon

I use the small parts cleaning brushes. They look like a paint brush with a metal handle. Like Elon said, I use carb cleaner, or gasoline if I don't have carb cleaner. Gasoline will dissolve gasoline varnish if scrubbed with a brush. Oil in an air cleaner usually indicates that either the crankcase breather valve is not functioning correctly, or that there is significant blow-by in the engine. I would clean the oil out of the air cleaner and just watch to see how fast the oil is accumulating in the air cleaner. I had a Chevy van that would put oil in the air cleaner, but it always ran fine. Never did solve that problem on the van. Had the same problem on a Ford and it was a plugged line between valve cover and PCV valve. Cured it when I replaced the line. Good luck.

John, You are correct about oil bath air cleaners on the Older B/S engines. I'm not sure what the 725s had on them. I have a 700 (61 Wards), but do not have the original air cleaner. I should have remembered that since I am a few years older than you and have used many a mower with an oil bath air cleaner. Guess I was just suffering from Oldtimers Disease. Thanks for correcting my statement.

Herm, I have a 700/725 type with an oil bath air cleaner. The "tray" you describe is formed in the lower part of the "canister" shape that holds the filter element. If you look closely at the outside of the "canister" shaped area, you can see the words OIL LEVEL and a line stamped in the metal in mine. Yours may be the same. If the cnaistere shaped area is dirty or rusty or has bad paint, it might be difficult to see.

I use a pump spray bottle with mineral spirits [paint thinner] to clean off old oil and grease,won't hurt the paint .obviously this is a "no smoking" proceedure,but fairly safe outdoors.or you could use the thinner with a wirebrush.

• 2 weeks later...
Cleaning for?? Paint, or just to clean? The first bath anything I have gets is either in Purple Power or Greased Lightening, sprayed on full strength til it runs off. Let it sit for a bit, but not dry, then wash off with high pressure water from the hose, not a pressure washer. Several cleanings as described usually gets a clean mower, car engine, tractor, whatever.. Simply stuff a rag into the intake, and wash on! I have never had a problem when cleaning this way, and have been doing it for years. When you are through washing, start the engine and let it warm up to dispel any moisture. And, the oil bath air cleaner is what you are describing. Likely the best air cleaner ever used on a small engine, in my opinion, but it required service, and many simply did not take the time. Clean out the 'tray', as it will have grime in it, then refill with 30 weight oil to the oil level. Should be ready for another 50 hours or so, unless you landscape with the tractor, then I'd service more often.

The air filters on my B-1 and 725 are thick foam cylinders with a hole through the middle. A metal or plastic mesh cylinder goes inside the foam to help maintain its shape and provide crush resistance when the wing nut to retain the top cover and filter is tightened. Service once a season is sufficient. The foam works like a K & N filter. A dust/dirt coating only improves the filtration. Works for me.