Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Another derelect 725 is alive!

midnightpumpkin

My Grandsons and I got the 725 we recently aquired running this week. The transmission is leaking badly around the axle seals on both sides. When we jack it up there is considerable play up and down on the left side indicating the bearing is worn. What is the advice on this? Do we just run it with a minimal amount of gear lube in the bottom of the case or do we attempt to replace bearings and seals? To just replace the seals seems like it would be a waste of time. I have the IPL downloaded from the Simplicity web site but can't tell from it what would be involved in replacing these bearings assuming they are available. Anyone have first hand experience here? Thanks

I would think you should replace the worn parts, otherwise it could lead to greater damage. You may be able to find another transmission in better shape and just do a swap if you want to avoid tearing it down for repair.

For some reason I want to say these old girls have bronze bushings in the transmission that the axle tube rides in and I'd also fathom a guess that the bushings can still be had from a dealer who is willing to take the time to look up the part #'s or better yet look at the manual and look them up yourself at the tech pubs site. I'd agree that fixing the excessive play (not just the seals) is the right way to go. Be aware that the axle tube may already be worn and until it's been torn down there's no way to know it's true condition. If the axle tube is worn beyond reuse or repair there are usually parts machines for sale from time to time both here in the classifieds and on e-Bay. I have 2 of of the 700 models, 1 is a running driving collection of spare parts and the other is a 1 or 2 owner machine that is destined for restoration as time allows. To replace the bushings it will be necessary to remove the transmission and split the case. Air tools aren't required but make the job easier and quicker, Good luck ;) PS the 700 is really my favorite due to it's simplicity in design and operation just a plain worker without the unnecessary bells and whistles although I'm sure to get an arguement about that LOL

Ok, the concensus is to replace the bearings. Is there any place I can get a detailed procedure for replacing these bearings? We have the owners manual/parts list which shows part numbers and a pictorial drawing of the transmission case. Does a repair manual exist for these machines? It looks like an awful lot of parts in there. I wouldn't want to just take the case apart and have a dozen or so parts fall out not knowing how to put them back together.

Hello everyone, I would agree with ReedS. When I repaired the rear gearcase in my '63 B-10(which I believe is the same), it had bushings in the case halves. These were worn on the top and leaking the oil out as you described. When I went to the dealer, he told me that these bushings were not available and that the replacement was a timkin roller bearing. I took both case halves to the machine shop along with the bearings and had them installed. Much better/stronger setup. Wear on the axle tube was not a problem as it was cracked from the key-way out and had to buy a new one($). The rebuild is not that bad/hard. Replace every woodruff/key in the gearcase as I'm sure you will find that they are worn on the sides from rocking in the key slot. Also the side thrust washers may be worn/groved on the axle tube to the case halves. Andy

I work at a simplicity dealer and generally take care of the parts room.I believe I have those bushings in stock.

Bushings are in my B-1. Replaced them and the axle tube many long years ago when I first got it. Has worked fine since then. Caution: Be careful when pressing the bushings in. If you distort them the axle tube will not fit without honing the bushing round again. Been there & done that. Good luck,