Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

? transmission noise

Daz

Hi all - since my last post under ?differential woes i have checked the fluid levels, checked the pulleys etc and the rear still makes a screeming sound when in gear and moving. i also placed her out of gear (both going and not going) and the rear makes a cluncky sound. i beleive it is the transmission (well i think you would call it the transmission - the black box inbetween the two rear wheels) rather than my original diff. thinking. any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how difficult a job is it to strip down the rear end to fix

The hydrostatic Tranny on my Sovereign makes an awful lot of noise also. When going downhill, the tranny is casting, but as soon as you put a load on it, it howls rather loudly. I tried replacing the tranny fluid, but this didn't affect the noise level. I'm not sure what's making the noise, bub it doesn't appear to affect the power. Still sounds too loud. I know this isn't a solution, but I thought I'd chime in with a similar problem, in hopes to read more about it in this thread.

Hi since this reply i have been having a chat to a john deer tractor mechanic and played him an audio tape of the noise both rolling and when in gear and moving - -he thinks it may be the bearings so any links to a repair manual would be appreciated also how big of a job is it to do? thanks

• 3 weeks later...
|)FIXED!!!! after much effort on my part and on the mower shop part we have located and fixed the problem.. the problem was the reverse gear in the transmission it kept on rocking on the spacer ? called brushing which then rocked on the reverse gear pin assembly. the guys fixed by boring out the reverse gear cog and placing in 2 bearings then reassembled. the reason the transmission 'screamed' was that in all gears 1-3 and R the reverse gear cog still spins anyway she's working nicley - so took her out into the padock on the weekend and tilled up an acre to sow some sweedes for the livestock