Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor show experiment

Jovee

Tried out the week old camera phone at the Portersville Pa antique tractor show today. Having limited success getting the pics over to the computer but this one made it.

This was called a Mc something or other Big Wheel (and my finger). Need to start writing stuff down. Lots of stuff to see there but I only captured the stuff that stood out. The one of the big Toro dual wheeled truck hasnt made it through. Here is one of those mythical blue "green" tractors. Wouldnt mind it in the collection.

I'll try to get more stuff on but I'm technologically challenged at the moment. There is a 1929 Allis in here somewhere that is green. Never saw one like that before. Anyone else in SW Pa make it there? - Joe

Joe, ;)The very early Allis tractors were all a pretty dark, forest green. I'd have to find my book to see when it was that they went to orange. I'd rather have that Mc Big Wheel. That is pretty interesting. Joe

Thanks Joe -I almost didnt notice it being green. Not much orange up there and the ones that were were the farm class tractors. The stuff in my size was mostly red, yellow, and green. However there was Team Orange which consisted of a large group of Economy owners. Wasnt what I was hoping for when I saw their sign but they were good looking machines too. The pic of the Toro truck came thru overnight. Ever seen one of these before?

Joe, Last year at one of the Jacktown shows, there was a club with a real good showing. The tractors and mowers were Shaw Do All(sp?). They had one pretty long row for just themselves. I'd bet if that was made by Toro, that it was made for golf course use. I've seen 3 Ford N tractors that were set up for this use and they were a pretty neat conversion. I got it in my head they were Wagner conversions, maybe. Joe

I dont know the details on the Toro but the smaller print on it did say it was manufactured by Toro but I dont remember where. The name on the Big Wheel was McClean. Going to try and refine the phone technology for next weeks Brownsville show. Or read the instructions. The trusty old film camera is still in style isnt it? - Joe

From my book by Norm Swinford (A Guide to Allis-Chalmers Farm Tractors), the Persian Orange color began with the introduction of the Model U in 1929. "In 1928 the United Tractor and Equipment Corporation of Chicago approached Allis-Chalmers to build a tractor to replace the Fordson they had been using until its production was discontinued in the US. A-C saw an opportunity to expand it's markets and the result was the United, a 4,000-pound tractor rated at 19 drawbar and 30 belt horsepower. It was painted Persian Orange which was the United color. The agreement with United was of short duration due to problems within that organization. A-C began marketing the tractor as the Model U. They retained the Persian Orange color and soon applied it to other A-C products." So I guess A-C kinda "stole" the color from United!