Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
BradW

Plow

BradW
I have the chance to get a rear mount plow for my B-10 for 75 bucks and I have a few questions. 1. Does my B-10 have enough power for the plow? 2. Does the plow do that good of a job in the garden? 3. Has anyone used the plow and have good luck with it? 4. Is this a good price for a plow? I thank you in adavance for your help,thank you. -BradW

ka9bxg
Same plow as a walk behind on a Simplicty with a bracket. There are pictures of it on the web page here. I have used 1 behind our old 700 and it works OK but I still like a tiller better. I made my own bracket for the plow and it also fits the disc spike tooth harrow and other rear equipment off the walk behinds.I think $75 is pricey. Bob

Good_Ole_JR
I have a plow that I can use on my 3212's It seems to have the power to plow, it all depende on the conditon of your soil as to how well the machine will operate. Hard clay soils will be difficult to plow where sandy loose soil will be easy. It will depend on whether you are starting a garden from scratch in sod or if the site has been used as a garden before. At first I had a hell of a time plowing my garden due to the clay content. I started adding sand and compost along with manure provided by a friend that raises a few beef cattle. The ground slowly started to become easier to turn over.I have a tiller that I can use, but in the early portion of the season I like to get out in the garden and turn it over so that nature can break down the ground on it's own via freeze and thaw. There have been times where I was able to get my tractor in the garden in February and turn it over. I like to plow at the end of the growing season, then once in late winter or early spring, then right before I am ready for the growing season. This way if needed I can turn fertilizer into the ground if needed and have it mixed in well for the planting season. After plowing for the last time I will allow the ground to sit for a few days then I will use the tiller to prepare for my seeds.

tej
If the plow is in good shape and the beam is straight then $75.00 is a fair price. Check the price of a new sleeve hitch plow. The sleeve hitch attachments are universal so it doesn't have to be AC. Your B-10 will have enough power the question is will it have enough traction. That depends on your soil type and has it been worked or are you breaking new ground. In a sandy soil you would have no trouble at all but in heavy clay you might just spin. Those are the extremes but the soil type will have the greatest impact on your ability to pull the plow. I would also suggest ag tires, chains, and weights. Plowing has some advantages over tilling. Plowing turns the soil over instead of mixing it up which is better for weed control. Also it allows you to turn under a green manure crop. I have also read that to much tilling can break down soil structure??? Maybe a plow salesman wrote that. Tim

JCS
I used to pay the neighbor to plow the garden with a JD "M" (farm tractor) I got a plow for $25.00 (guy wanted $50.00) and hooked it behind my B-1 with the narrow tires. It worked great at 1/2 throttle and second gear. First gear was too slow and the dirt just fell back down instead of turning over. As long as I plowed the previously plowed ground I was o.k. I didn't put on the wheel cutting hickie and sometimes it went to deep and lost traction so then you gotta lift it up some with puts more weight on the back wheels and sometimes do the ass shifting thing to get it going again! (remember no weights, no fluid, no chains!) However as soon as I tried to go 1 inch beyond the old garden I got STOPPED! I live in PA with clay which I have worked for the third year this spring. All I can say is I felt really proud plowing and had my wife take an action picture of me plowing! Guess that really doesn't answer your question doed it?!?!

Simplr
My AC B-1 (with liquid in the tires, chains, & no front weights), lifted its front wheels. torqued/twisted its chassis and busted the sod in my East Tennessee clay lawn with no problem. The funny part was I had to learn how to plow to keep from hanging the frame and getting stuck. I did use first gear. A B-10 should have sufficient power. A neighbor with a much larger Sears & Sawbuck tractor had tried earlier with someone standing on the back of the tractor for traction and failed. Roy

Good_Ole_JR
I like using the hydrostatic tractor to do the plowing. I seem to get a better job done if I'm able to feather the tranny control lever to keep up my ground speed. I have ag tires on my tractors and I don't use chains or any weights at all, of course my fat butt on the seat provides plenty of ballast....LOL

tej
I don't know how rare the original B series plows are but I bought one at a flea market for $25.00. The guy didn't know what it was for. I also picked up a pair on ag tires on JD yellow wheels for $12.00 at a flea market. Flea markets are a great place to find tractor stuff because they have no idea what it is worth. It is however rare to find this stuff at a flea market, I have just been luckey a couple of time. Tim

BradW
This is the allis-chalmers plow that was made for the B-series, I am planning on getting ag tires to pull it through spots that need the traction, The sleeve hitch is included with it too, I was also planning on plowing the garden,then rototilling, I don't know how rare the B-series plows are but I think for O.E.M Allis-Chalmers equipment,that is pretty good, thanks for your input so far, I would also like to know how rare the A-C B-series plows are, thank you. -BradW