Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Towing Capacity

keifer2k3

Anyone know the towing capacity of a 7114H w/3pt hitch? I want to get a lawn roller. I found one that can go 1200lbs full... How high can I go 'for things start bending?

My concern would't be pulling it -- my concern would be stopping it... I routinely pull my 14' landscape trailer with my tractors -- but I'm VERY careful. Unless you live on an absolutely flat lot, I wouldn't go over about 800 lbs with a roller, personally...

I agree with Kent, I have pulled my than 1200 lbs(23ft travel trailer), but that is rather slow moving. We were just backing them in and out of the shed. One can manuver the tractor much tighter than a truck, with that could of weight you do want to think about a counter weight for steering, the snowblower helped us with that, or someone sitting on the hood worked too.

In general, you probably will spin the tires before you damage the tractor. As Kent said, stopping is the problem. Also, if you try to pull something heavy, an have enough traction, the front of the tractor will try to raise up and can actually flip over backward on top of you. This is why wheelie bars are required at tractor pulls. Believe me, I flipped a box store type tractor over backward when trying to a horse type moldboard plow that my neighbor was handling. It happened so quickly that I couldn't get my foot on the clutch or my hand on the ignition key. I have actually moved my tandem axle trailer with a Mustang GT on it with my AC 716H. I was going slow on level ground and the front end kept trying to come up on it. My son sat on the hood to hold it down. Luckily I only had to move it to an open area where I could get the truck to it. Please be careful when pulling heavy objects. These tractors can hurt you badly if they flip over on you.

Thanks guys. The roller I'm looking at weighs 400lbs empty and up to 1200lbs full of water. I do have a sloping yard so I'll stay under 800lbs. That should be plenty to squish dirt anyway. Rod, I once flipped an older Simplicity. I was going staight up a pretty steep hill and started to spin, pushed the clutch in, brakes would'nt hold because of the hill so I rolled backwards a few feet and freaked out... popped the clutch and over she came. I luckily managed to move and avoid being crushed before it flipped about 3 times to the bottom of the hill! Didn't try that again.

My B12 has no trouble movin my 7k pickup..:) also in any of the 3 gears, tho when i tryed 3rd and my truck got movin, and eventually you have to stop, and you used a chain.....had to duck under my tailgate as the rear of my tractor stopped the truck...was worth the looks from the neighbors. scott

I have 6 of my machines on my 18 foot trailer right now going down to the show tomorrow.I have pulled it with a wonderboy 700 but do perfer the 7116H.The front wheels do come off the ground when taking off. As everybody said whatch out for stopping those tractors do slide with the brakes on.

I routinely move my 18ft inboard around with either my 3415h or the 3112v. I've had only one notable incedent where I forgot to remove the chockblock from underneath the trailer tire. LOL I had the 3112v in 1st range in 1st gear, the tractor never hesitated nor spun a wheel but I knew there was a problem when the front wheels were about 6" off the ground. I think it would have just pulled the trailer right over the chock if I hadn't hit the clutch. It's hard to decide wether to use the hydro rbt or the variable fdt when it comes to towing that much weight, 'course if I had my druthers I'd have a hydro fdt.........:o)

Keith is talking about pulling dead weight and almost no tongue weight with the roller. I would think tongue weight would be the thing that would help flip the tractor. The weights these machines can handle are pretty impressive. I even made a stinger (front hitch) by removing my front blade from its hitch, then mounting a ball up there. Backed my brother's 19' Sea Ray out of my barn (no trouble until I lost traction on the wet pavement outside). Still, all the "be careful" warnings are appreciated!

The problem still is stopping dead weight or tongue weight. Both you have issues stopping with to much weight, way before breaking something in the tractor.

When pulling a load from the rear of the tractor, the main item that makes the tractor raise the front wheels in the air is the height of the hitch. If pulling from the original hitch, which is below the centerline of the rear axle, the problem is not bad. When an auxiliary hitch is made that puts the attachment point equal to or above the centerline of the axle, then the force on the hitch tries to pull the front wheels off the ground. I was pulling my tandem trailer, loaded with pulling tractors, with another tractor when the front end came up suddenly. The hitch of the trailer popped off the ball as the tractor stood up. I then watched my trailer move slowly down the slight grade toward my garage, and then watched the corner of the trailer put a major hole through my wooden garage door. I had jumped off the tractor and grabbed the trailer tongue, but couldn't stop the trailer with nearly 3000 lb on it. Believe me, at that time I felt so insignificant, and very stupid. I hadn't snapped the hitch closed when I put it on the ball. Now, when I tow my trailers with the 716H that has the hydraulicly raisable hitch, I raise the hitch to pick up the tongue of the trailer, snap the hitch on the ball, raise the tongue jack out of the way, then lower the hitch back down to its lowest position before moving the trailer.

I,m sure you all get tired of me saying this but the weight of the tractor is the main factor in the amount of work it will do. You can stop a 1200# roller no problem the brakes are more than strong enough, but not with a 700# tractor with turf tires. Dual rear tractor tires and enough weights to get the tractor up to 13 or 1400 pounds and no problem. I move rolling loads up and down the approach to my shop [10 degree incline] all the time. I even pulled my loader tractor once 12000# but not up the incline. Someday I will over do it and break my 3410 but untill then the loader tractor burns about 9 gallons of gas a hour and the Simplicity about 2 gallons a day so I just throw on a few more suitcase weights use the little one for all its worth.

John, I also use my tractors for nearly everything. I am just trying to explain some of the things that have happened to me in the past. I just hope it helps keep others from making the same mistakes that I have made.