Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 4040

Bill E

I am the new owner of a Simplicity 4040 and a new club member. I am in the process of getting my 4040 back into running condition. I am going to need a quite a few parts to get there. I have found some of the parts are no longer available from the dealer. Is there anyone out there that has extra parts they would be willing to sell or know of a source that does? Any help would be appreciated. I am also for a set of good used tires with or without rims. Thanks in advance, Bill E

What I need the worst is a hydraulic valve assembly (2 spool) and hydraulic lift cylinder. There was a hydraulic valve on e-bay, but it was a single spool. I also need to replace the missing intake manifold, carburetor and air cleaner assembly on the Onan engine. I would like to replace the steering box which is in very poor condition. With those parts I should have a working tractor. After that I will need to replace my dry rotted tires and hopefully find a seat assembly and replacement pulleys for my 60" mid mount mower deck. Any help would be appreciated!

Deere also used similar Cessna valves (and Sundstrand hydro's) on their garden tractor hydraulic systems. There is a JD cylinder that is apparently the same as a PowerMax cylinder. You can also look on eBay for the green stuff, although it tends to be a bit more expensive.

Put a wanted AD in the classifieds, for the parts you need. There may be some people with dead ONANs that have the engine parts that you need. I bought a single spool PowerMax cylinder from ebay and used it on my 716H. I have seen several of the single spool valves for sale. This is probably because they are being replaced with double spool valves. That is the case of the one I bought. It is a direct replacement for the ones on the 7100 and Sunstar tractors, except it also has float which the others don't. The hydraulic components will be harder to find. You may still be able to buy the valve from Cessna, but it will probably be in the $200-$300 range.