Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Foot Dragger lift shaft removal (now done)

Chris727

Hi. I have been having trouble with removing the lift shaft on my early B-10 project. The lift arm is stuck on as well as the part on the opposite side which lifts the deck and blade. I cannot really get a good whack at them with a hammer due to the frame being in the way. I have also considered using some type of a puller (would like to avoid damaging anything) but my 3 jaw puller won't work. I have had them soaking with penetrating oil, and yes I removed the allen screws. I'm not sure what to try next. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. Chris

If you are trying to pull the lift arm off the shaft, you could try to drive it further on the shaft to break it loose. There is a lot of surface area probably rusted together with the shaft and two keys. A little heat from the "fire wrench", with repeated applications of PB Blaster or Kroil would also help. When I pulled mine I found a 2 jaw puller and used that. Good luck GregB

You can also loosen the setscrews on the collars that hold it in position, inside the frame, then drive the shaft farther into the frame on each side. Then, you'll be able to slide the shaft out far enough from the frame so that you can get pullers on it...

there is a threaded hole on the oppisite side of the lift arm (right side when sitting on the tractor) that is a 7/16 thread screw a bolt into that and use a 2 arm puller it should come right off. then use the same puller on the lift handle side. I put a small piece of steel between the shaft and the puller so it wouldn't mess up the end of the shaft. I just did this with a simplicity 101

I was able (on my project) to knock the keys in to break them loose then was able to knock them out the front, then just twist the arms off. I had everything else off the frame already so I was able to swing over the frame.

I have tried all but the heat wrench on my Landlord. Loosening the arm way back when with a universal wrench drove both arms on a little too far. I can get a 2 jaw puller on each side, they just refuse to move. Penetrating oil didnt help a bit, nor did gently tapping the puller with a universal 10 pound hammer. Heat is the only option I see left, likely will be the only for you, as well.

Hello again. The lift shaft is now removed. I knocked the keys in as far as I could on the lift lever side. One of the allen's in the collars would not come out so a screw extractor was used and then the collar had to be heated up. Then for removing the lift arm a 2 jaw puller was used. Once that was removed I got more room to get a puller on the other side and was able to heat it up and use a large 3 jaw puller on it. Thank You. Chris