Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Finally Got A Tiller (with photos)

Roy

Long story: After searching for a tiller for my new Sovereign for a long time I finally got one. Last June while visiting my daughter & son-in-law in King George, Virginia I had breakfast with Rod Hubbard. In casual conversation I mentioned that I was still looking for a tiller. Rod said he would keep an "eye open". Shortly after I got home Rod PM'ed me that wilm169 (Levi) knew of a tiller. I contacted Levi and found he had a neighbor with a 1690039 tiller in good shape for a reasonable price. Better yet, Levi offered to assist by having his sister, who lives in Philadelphia, Tennessee, to bring the tiller to Knoxville on her next trip to visit Levi in Indiana. I bought the tiller, Levi's sister brought it Knoxville on her way home from a July 4th visit to Indiana. Since then I have been collecting parts and repairing the tiller drive idler pulleys. One critical missing part was the Rear PTO Idler pulley and bracket. Biggie*rat provided some photos and dimensions for the PTO pulley bracket from which I made an ACAD drawing and a bracket. Today I bought a drive belt (the belt with the tiller was too short) and finally got the tiller operational. Works great!!!! :):):D:D I am grateful to Rod, Levi (wilm169), and biggie*rat for all their time and assistance. Levi was especially helpful in finding the tiller, coordinating the sale to me, and providing transportation from Indiana to Knoxville. He deserves a "gold star" in my book. Photos below: Tiller:

Repaired idler pulley: Oh, the bottom pulley bearing is bad. Anyone know where I can find a replacement bearing or pulley for less cost than a new pulley assembly?

Idler bracket: My bracket drawing needs some rework. When finished I will post the drawing to the club.

That's all. Thanks for looking.

Good deal, Roy!! These things are rare as hens teeth here in Eastern TN. I have had my ear to the ground for about 2 years searching for a tiller for my 2012. No luck yet, but I am Mr. stubborn, I will dig one up yet!!

Glad I could be of help to you, Roy. I guess our occasional breakfast meetings ended up being profitable for you. It's a good feeling to be able to help a friend. Guess that is how you felt when you let me have the sickle bar mower. Enjoy the tiller.

I bought a tiller last year off ebay.It looked like it was either never or hardly used.I was absolutely amazed at how well it worked.You'll have lots of fun with it.

dads707, keep looking. You will find one eventually. Rod, yes, breakfast can be beneficial. wilm169, you are welcome. toad270, thanks for the tip on Phoenix Mfg.