Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
davidb54321

19D is Tired!

davidb54321
First, thanks for the great forum! Now, I have a Montgomery Ward Squire(62' or 63') with a BS 19D, Type 708011, Serial # 2692. My tractor runs well, but is using lots of oil, with a lot of blow-by coming from the vent. Can someone tell me the part # for rings(It has never been bored, and cross-hatch can still be seen on cylinder wall with only a small ridge at top) and any other parts I may want to consider at the same time. I am in no rush, this will be a winter job. Should I be using HD 30, or ND 30 for oil? And at the risk of sounding stupid, What is this "foot draggin' thing"? Thanks, David Bartlett

Chris727
Hi David. A "foot dragger" is one of the earlier Simplicity/AC tractors produced between 59 and about 1970. These tractors did not have running boards as the 71 and later had, but rather small pegs or foot rests. As for your engine, if it were mine I'd take it apart and have it measured up. It may need more than rings, piston and piston pins wear out, as do rods. Just because an engine doesn't knock that doesn't mean that you wouldn't still need to have the crankshaft turned .20 under and have a new undersized rod installed. My 23D didn't knock and the rod looked ok, but the crank was out of round so I had it turned under and am going to put in a new rod. You may also want to check the head and the top of the cylinder for flatness, check valves and valve guides for wear, and if your points bushing is leaking oil you may need to replace it. It may also be helpful for you to buy the Briggs antique engine manual.

ReedS
Welcome David. I can't help with the part # for the rings but you may want to consider checking the bore for out of round, out of square and to check for a barreled jug. If the bore isn't within specs my feeling is that just replacing the rings won't do it well, although there are a few guy's here that have done just that and been ok. Another thing about these 19's is that parts are getting scarce but they do share some parts in common with the later model 23. The foot dragging thing means No running boards to put your feet on hence the term "foot dragger". I have 2 of the Simplicity 700's equivilant to your Squire complete with the mosquito fogger option.........;)

dorise
From an Illustrated Parts List for the 19D the part # for standard rings is 292100 and are available from B/S but you need to go thru a dealer and also from Jacks Small Engine(link on the club site). $23.04 @ Jack's and $25.60 @ Briggs.

toad270
or here are some http://cgi.ebay.com/Briggs-gas-engine-ring-set-NOS-part-292100-3inchbore_W0QQitemZ4369711202QQcategoryZ50371QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem http://cgi.ebay.com/BRIGGS-STRATTON-RING-SET-PART-292100-STD-N-O-S_W0QQitemZ7705109096QQcategoryZ50371QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem