Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Belt problem 728 Broadmoor

pops_n_scratches

I'm having a problem with the drive belt from the motor to the mower deck on my 728 Broadmoor. I can't seem to adjust it so that the belt stays on after disengaging the blades. Nearly every time I stop the blades, the belt comes off. I am using the belt specified in the literature that came with the tractor when I bought it used - 78" v-belt. All of the guides are in place and seem to be properly positioned... the rectagular shaped one in front of the motor drive pulley and the two on either side of the pulley on the deck. I have tried various adjustments on the rod that actuates the tensioner pulleys. No luck. Should I go to a different size belt? Is there an adjustment that I'm not aware of? Any help will be appreciated. Pops

My 3410 kept throwing the mower belt.I found one bad arbor in the deck was causing it.Replaced the bad arbor,and fixed the problem. Worth a shot.

I'm not sure about your Broadmoor. I have a 6011 and I got a 77" belt for it and it is a little loose. I bought a 76" belt as a back-up but have yet to use it to see how it fits as my tranny is toast. I would engage the belt and then dis-engage it and then shut the tractor down and take a look at the belt. Does it look like it is going to fall off or is it right on the pulley. I would look at that and maybe try a 1" shorter belt. Just my two-cents.

There should be two belt guides for the mower pulley on the engine, a total of four belt guides and two belt stops, I think. Maybe Kenny (Goatfarme) didn't junk his old one yet and you and him can make a deal. The only ohter thing I can think of is the tensioner pulleys not being the proper diameter for some reason.

Pops, I'm not sure how much the Broadmoor is similar to the 725 but on mine there is a welded tab on the PTO that keeps it from swinging to far. My tab broke off once and I had the same problem until I welded it back on.