Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Paint Help Please

Boney

I used this primer "Duplicolor Self Etching Primer" Then I sprayed it with "Krylon® Rust Tough® Rust Preventative Enamels". When I sprayed it was very rough. This indicates to me that I should do some type of sanding/cleaning to the primer before painting. {the parts were sand blasted before priming} What should I use to give it a lite sanding ? {wet sanding?} and is there a chemical that I should wipe down the primer with before appling the paint? If I use a chemical should I dry it with a towel or use compressd air? Thnx Herm P.S any other suggestions/commnets about painting are welcome

sand blasted parts need to be sanded before they are primed when metal is sand blasted it makes the metal a little rough some times i just use scuff pads. JJ

I spray a grey sandable primer over the etching primer and then sand that leaving the etching primer alone, etching primer gets one coat the sandable primer gets as much as I think it needs to smooth the surface out. I wet sand the primer with 400 to 600 grit and go slow because if I see the etching primer I stop and lay on some more sandable primer. I use a wax and grease remover with a lint free cloth and let air dry because I also tinker in grease while the paint is drying and can never quite get it all off my hands when I go back to the pieces again.

I believe most auto stores have them and some even have cleaner in the rag if not try an auto paint supplier they should definitly have them. They may be called a tack free cloth.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaah I have tack free cloth for woodworking. Somtimes I can not see the trees through the forest LOL LOL, Firefox thnx for all your help, today I will prime and wetsand. :)

I'm not sure you want to use a woodworking tack rag for your tractor paint work. The woodworking tack cloths are treated with some sticky stuff to pick up sawdust or sanding residue before finishing. I've never heard of someone using them for automotive/metal painting.

The ones we get at the body shop have a sticky stuff on them..I have used a couple different brands of them and they was all sprayed with some sort of sticky stuff...I know one thing..don't push on them very hard or you will have the sticky stuff on your parts..We always just kinda glide the cloth lightly over..