Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7116H Hydraulic Lift

xrisj

I've just purchased a nice old 7116H. The seller had the motor rebuilt and painted the frame - they never replaced the model tags. It's for sure a 7116H (briggs cast and all). I've got a problem with the Hydraulic lift. The deck only raises on one side and only 1/2 inch or so. Are there any adjustments I can make, or is this a hosed up hydraulics system? br, chris

You might have to much slack in lift chain and you should be able to see the if the Hyd ram is travelling the full stroke.

You might have the rollers adjusted to there highest setting.this will cause the deck to be high to begin with and the lift will have to go to near the end of the stroke before it starts to lift

Chris I believe your 7116 has the same lift as my 17GTH-L which means you have a cable from the lift assembly under the tractor running to the deck. If that is the case the cable may be stretched to the point it does not move the deck much at all. I have replaced my cable once and now it's stretched again where I only get a couple of inches of lift on the deck. I haven't figured a way to shorten the cable yet but I'm going to try before I lay out the money for another cable.

Chris & Larry, The lift cable that I use on my 716H with hydrolift is homemade. A piece of cable from the hardware store and some cable clamps. If it stretches, just take the clamps loose and tighten the cable. Also much cheaper. This is how a do-it-yourself cheapskate did it. By-the-way, Chris, if the deck is not lifting evenly you should check the attachment points and the adjustments on the deck itself. The deck on my 713S that I use for mowing lifts with a cable and comes up uniformly on both sides. If the right side (which is where the cable attaches) is lifting higher, then I would suspect wear in the front axle pivots or something of this type.

Excellent feed back; this is a great site!!! The unit does use a cable. I'm think you're right on the stretch concept. If I make my own, how long should it be to start? What I'm not sure of is how much travel I should expect. I just bought a new home with 6 acres, and a lot of it is field grass. I'd like to cut some deer/walking paths, but want to start up higher - the current cut is scalping the land. Not to mention the hidden rocks and logs I don't want to catch.