Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Will These Spindles Fit?

Roy

Roy, as best as I can find out, they should fit. I bought some parts from Dan, for a 48 inch mower. The center spindle was made from different parts (several significant changes) but the entire spindle "assembly" would replace the older assembly.

Hi, The new arbor assy can replace the old ones if the aluminum adaptor spacers are used. If you buy the new arbor kits they come with 2 about 3/8 thick aluminum spacer rings to correct the blade height. You will also have to get a new pulley. Al Eden

Al, I won the e-bay auction for the spindles. What do I need to do to get the information/parts for the aluminum spacers and pulley? Which pulley, or pulleys, have to be changed? Thanks,

The newer style split cup spindle assemblies use arbors with splines on the ends. The old style uses Keys . You cant install old style pulleys with new arbors. If this is what you have you will have to have the splined pulleys of the correct size for your deck to use on the splined arbors. Also, I have had decks with just one new assembly installed using the two aluminum rings. They never seem to me to mow quite right with mixed types of arbor assemblies in a deck. I always end up putting in all three new arbor assemblies with spacers.

I am getting all three complete spindle assemblies. Ref: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7707259198&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT If I understand Sam correctly all I will need is three (3) arbor spacers. Is this right? With the arbors spaced up is the idler pulley height OK? Or, does the idler pulley have to be spaced up also? Thanks,

By the way, I had a deck with the aluminum spacers, they rotted away. I wouldnt use them, sure seem like a poor idea to me, they should make them of steel or something durable. If its like miney, Each spindle assy will need 2 spacers to get it to the right height. THe deck I had worked fine, It didnt need a new pulley either. THe spacers just put the whole spindle assy about 1" lower than the deck shell.

My Landlord has a deck with two of the newer(I suppose) splined shafts, and the center of the keyed style. Cutting yard grass is fine with the arrangement, but heavy grass causes the two outer blades to loosen. I do not want to tighten the blades with an impact wrench, but I assume this will solve the problem. Splined washers are in place, as are the cupped washers. I think I am going to install studs into the mandrels, then use a nylon insert locknut to hold the blades tight, or let the stud be long enough to use a double nut on the bottom. When the blade hits heavy grass, the blades loosen, even with the splined washers in place. The aluminum spacers are so far, holding up, though they appear to be disintegrating on the outside.

I recently put two of these arbor kits on my 42" deck. I used the two plates and the only problem I see with them are that I have to take the whole spindle out to grease them because the plates cover the zerks. I think I still have the paper with the part numbers on it for the pulley, not sure about the plates. If I find it I will post it.

quote:
Originally posted by 10HorseMan
I recently put two of these arbor kits on my 42" deck. I used the two plates and the only problem I see with them are that I have to take the whole spindle out to grease them because the plates cover the zerks. I think I still have the paper with the part numbers on it for the pulley, not sure about the plates. If I find it I will post it.
Properly installed, the plates dont come anywhere near to covering the zerks. Zerks should be on the lower half of the arbor housings. Spacer plates go doubled up against the deck and the arbor assembly goes against the bottom of the plates from underneath. Zerks should be right there open and accesable from under the deck.

The way I have them set up the zerk is about level with the shell of the deck. I have the top of the housing, then the first plate second plate then the shell. What have I done wrong?

quote:
Originally posted by 10HorseMan
The way I have them set up the zerk is about level with the shell of the deck. I have the top of the housing, then the first plate second plate then the shell. What have I done wrong?
Sounds like you have the housings bolted in upside down. The end with the zerk is supposed to be sticking down under the deck. Either that or you have the spacers against the top of the shell, when they are supposed to be against the underside of the shell. I'll take a picture of how its supposed to be. Should clear things up. [img]http://a7.cpimg.com/image/FB/9C/51334907-5963-01AE015A-.jpg[/img] As you can see, the zerk is sticking out well below the level of where the deck shell is clear of any obstruction.

Sam, mine is the 42" deck that came with a 410s, they are not as deep as the ones that came with the B-110's because the way you have them set up in the pics is how I think it would work with the deep design. According to my paper I have them on right. "Form #1673621" The arbors I have are mfg. 1685078 Roy: the number on my paper for the pulley is 1655867 The adapters are part # 1656516