Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Vertical exhaust stack 16 hp Briggs/ 914 AC

B.Ikard

Gents, I have noticed several tractor pics on the site with vertical exhaust stacks added. I have a 914 AC and plan on installing a 16 hp Briggs and do not have any factory exhaust for it. I was wondering what mufflers were used, where to get them, and the noise level-I like a deeper than stock tone but dont want a straight pipe:) Is there any reinforcement needed or extra brackets? Do you like the tractor with the vertical stack better or worse than stock ? Looking for ideas and suggestions at this point. Thanks, Ike

Most I've seen use the ub-Cadet mufflres found cheap at tractor supply or simular. They look good, but don't offer much relief from the noise because of it comeing out so close in line with the opperator. I have had these before and much prefer the orriginal. However, I have a 16 in my HB and use a homemade pipe that comes out and extends over my head. A little loud standing next to it but the noise and fumes are displaced above my head while in operation. Not much of a brace is needed as long as you stay away from tree branches. Just don't over load the exhaust port by useing iron pipe. That stuff gets heavy fast.

Dave, I think those are Farmall Cub mufflers -- not Cub Cadet mufflers... http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/stack_muffler.htm

I think you would be better off fabricating something yourself, because you can custom-build it for your ideal specifications. These are simple to build and if you get a muffler from Tractor Supply you can do a very professional job. Idealy, you will want a plazma cutter and a welder. If you don't have the tools, you might have a friend that could help....... KohlerMan

The muffler I'm refering to has an inlet in the side at the bottom and has a small bracket at the top to mount it to the heat shield or something. It also has a small deflector built in but it was made to run under the hood and face slightly out the front while being mounted in the mostly horizontal position. These are what I was refering to. I see what you ment Kent, they should work a little better than the ones I'm talking about. But they look good on a small engine.

Thanks for the replies, I like the look of the vertical exhaust but I did not know how hard it would be on the ears with either cub muffler discussed. I did not know how much weight the Briggs block would support from the exhaust port-seems like I heard somewhere to watch out for cracking the block with a lot of muffler weight. I can get the complete Kohler exhaust for the 914 from the previous owner but the Briggs uses a different engine to muffler pipe which retails around $60.00 thru Simplicity. I suppose between myself and a muffler shop I can come up with something. Ike