Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Zerks

Mick14

Would it be a bad idea to replace the front wheel bearing caps on a 725 with ones that have greasable zerks like on a boat trailer ?was thinking of using marine grease also. thanks for any input.

Be carefull of something sticking out past the edge of the tire. It'll get hit regularly if you use the tractor much. The wheel bearings are made to just be serviced at regular intervals. Over greaseing them will just make a mess. But it's your tractor. Do with it what makes you happy. Most of them that I see aren't exsactly burt with grease.lol

Thanks Dave,how about the idea of marine grease,,they use salt on the roads here ,i plan to blow a lot of snow with this .

I think you are talking about "Bearing Buddies" that are used on boat trailers?? I like the idea. I don't think that marine grease is really necessary but can't see any harm in it either. Just my opinion and it is free so value accordingly. Dan PS: let us know how it works out for you.

Marine grease is fine. Aside from the corrosion, it won't wash away as easily when you're riding around in the slush.

I have dropped the idea of zerks in the dust caps ,but since its time to repack the wheel bearings ,i'm thinking that marine grease might be some extra protection in the salty slush.thanks to D-17 Dave ,i looked closer and the zerks would stick out past the tires--bad idea.

I'm really hard on my front spindles of my 620. With all the high speed turning and front blade use I do with it I was concerned about the possible lack of grease the bearings would take under this type of load so I put zerks in the hub just to the inside of the inner bearing. I can get to it with the wheels on and about once a mounth I'll pop a squirt or 2 in them. I think it would be a waste to over pack them. This may be an alternative to the outbourd cap zerks but I still believe freshening them up twice a year would do you a good job. I shudder to think of all the B-series tractors that probably NEVER had them lubed at all in their close to 40 years wourth of service and only show nominal wear.

I have used marine grease in everything I own for years not because of some chemical analysis but because it seems to work well in all of my applications and, most importantly, I am lazy! Too lazy to switch tubes in the gun. It works especially well in my 6011's snowthrower & the snow machines. People have many addictions ... mine is to Kroil and marine grease.

I'd like to find a grease gun tube that lasted for years like your's Rick. Mine only are good for a few weeks at a refill.lol

I was looking at some dust caps with grease zerks and they were recessed and did not stick out to get knocked off. I will check and see what the brand name is and post here in a few days. Dan