Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kent

Engine of the future?

Kent
Wonder if this will really come to market, or will it be something else like a "Fish carbureator" or "cold fusion"... Seems they're targeting the Outdoor Power Equipment market. http://www.rotoblock.com

D-17_Dave
Looks to me to have all the caractoristics of a true rotory engine. I see the tolorances being to close to allow for any resonable wear and no torqe value. I think I'll stick with my cast iron models for now.

Roy
Interesting. But, I doubt that it goes very far. Hard to manufacture and difficult to get fuel and spark to the rotating cylinder block. They will have intake and exhaust sealing problems. My humble opinion,

Jovee
Reminds me of the old WW I radial engines used by the Germans that revolved on the shaft. Hold the prop and spin the plane. Different but similar design but it worked for a while. Cast iron with a choke for me - Joe

HubbardRA
After you overcome the machining and sealing problems the usual show stopper with these type of exotic engine designs usually exists in fuel economy, and emissions. Hard to beat an overhead valve piston engine in those areas.

cwm1276
Check out a Mazda RX-8 they are still building that wankel. A year ago I looked at it when I bought the Mazda 6. That engine is smaller than a 4 cyl. There seemed to be hardly anything under the hood.

Woodydel
Well, I believe this to be the engine of the future and it is here now. Currently engines are being licensed to the US military. Look closely at the specs and you will be impressed. Example: There is no starter needed. Then look at the power output versus the weight. That's enough power (torque) for a semi. Have a look. Buy the stock? [url]http://www.axialvectorengine.com/AxialVector.htm[/url]

PGL
Thanks for the very interesting links. The rotary diesel looks easier to fuel than the rotating engine, and wouldn't need the spark. If the AVE does what they say, I can certainly see why the military would be interested. Much better efficiency, lower weight and it can run on almost any fuel with a computere compensating for the differences. You could keep a boat, tank or other vehicle running much better in the field with much better performance. It seems to be able to produce very high torque figures. AS well, the current models are based on an earlier actual working engine design.

Tom Deutsch
The first-gen rotaries in the 60s and early 70s (NSU, Mada Rx-2 and 3) definitely had troubles with sealing and very few of them survived. By the late 70s, Mazda, had put together a rotary engine for the Rx-7 that sold huge numbers and you still see a lot of those cars. If you've ever driven one, the smooth-revving engines felt and sounded great. And since they are lightweight, they improve handling. Fuel economy (for their hp output) and relative lack of low-rev torque were weaknesses. Turbo-charging works well on them. I'm glad to see the innovation -- the pressure to improve has caused a lot of advances in traditional 4-stroke gas engine design. But I just can't see a rotary in a tractor -- maybe a "racing" tractor...