Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tiller question

my wife has me put out a pretty big garden every year. i have been thinking about a different tiller. i have heard there is a mounted one that fits tractors like my 7016 but will my tractor do the job and what about up and down hills? we have a couple here you know. a wide mounted tiller sure would save me a lot of work over the one I use, since its like wrestling a bear. would I need weights or chains for the hills? how wide is the tillers that go on? Thanks Gary

Thre is no comparison between tractor mounted and walk behind.You sit and ride. The tiller pushes tractor. Being that you have established garden it will till up very nicely. Tiller is easy to put on. You will need rear lift kit. and pto kit for tiller. There are some nice units on E-Bay.

Like Ron said. You will love it. I have the same tractor with tiller and power lift rigged up. It takes almost no effort at all to till.

Gary, you are looking for a 36" tiller, they did make extension and 38" Heavy duty one. The extensions and the Heavy Duty one are hard finds. I doubt you would need chains or weights, as already said the tiller pushes the tractor and the weight of the tiller adds a around hundred pounds to the back of the tractor. In loose dirt you do find it is hard to steer with turf front tires and the tiller just pushing you straight forward.

thanks everyone. sounds like i should quit punishing myself with the yearly wrestling matches with the beating machine. maybe i should go with tractor tread tires though. they would work good with the blade in the woods we are trying to clean up and the snowblower i guess. sound like i will be putting out some big bucks though. thanks Gary

I recommend AG tires on the rear and tri-rib tires on the front, just like the big tractors. They work much better than turfs.

I would not say you would be putting out BIG bucks. I have an AC712 with deck, tiller, front snow/dozer blade and a small under belly cultivator and have only about $1500 total invested. Got my tiller on ebay for $400 shipped to my house in Nebraska. I have turf tires and have no real problems using any of the equipment. Sure, I could turn better with different tires but you don't HAVE to have them. Dan

Here's a tiller in Indiana Greg just listed: http://cgi.ebay.com/Allis-Chalmers-Rear-Mounted-Garden-Tractor-Tiller_W0QQitemZ7708535578QQcategoryZ50377QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and a rear lift for sale by Bunky: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7708488009

I didn't look where you are located, but I currently have a 36" tiller(#1690039) that would fit your tractor in the classifieds.

I've run a 38" heavy duty unit on my 917 A/C and a 36" on my dad's 7117. They are amazing compared to the walk behinds. Way faster and much easier on your body. I've only run turf tires with no weights and haven't had any traction problems. On the 38" tiller if the tiller kid catches something I've had to slighty lift the tiller to go and I was fine. The biggest problem I've had is turning, but it's really no issue at all.

I finally figured out how to do it. It was easy once I found the configuration of it. Thanks for the tip. I would have gotten back to you sooner if I hadn't lost your email address and put this in the wrong post. What a pack of crab asses in here.

If you have an established garden you can do it with turf tires. I do about 8 - 10 gardens every spring and I try to hit it with the right ground moisture. Once in awhile I get a stinker and make mud marbles, but I have yet to get stuck.

i think i have found a tiller about 30 miles from here. an old farmer was cleaning out his barn and had it setting outside when i drove by. i stopped and asked, he said it was for an allis chalmers but it was white instead orange. will this work? he said he would take $25 for it. is the tiller all i need? thanks Gary

quote:
Originally posted by cheepcheep
i think i have found a tiller about 30 miles from here. an old farmer was cleaning out his barn and had it setting outside when i drove by. i stopped and asked, he said it was for an allis chalmers but it was white instead orange. will this work? he said he would take $25 for it. is the tiller all i need? thanks Gary
It's hard to say with out a assembly number or picture.

thanks. i'll probably stop there again today and go ahead and get it. even if it isn't the right one i can probably resell it. thanks Gary

When you see him ask or see if the belt drive assemble is there. That is a belt with 2 pulley to run the tiller fron the left PTO. Good luck.

well i went back to that farmer's house today to check on the tiller. i wrote the number down that was on the i.d. tag and asked if he had anything else related to allis or simplicity. he moved some stuff and found what looked like a little dirt or snow blade only it was short. about 6 or 8 inches tall and about 3' or 3 1/2' wide with a bracket on it that he said fit on his old allis tractor. plus he had an old umbrella that said A-C on it that was small like it would go on a little tractor. he said he would take $50 for the whole mess. i think he saw me coming. and also he had the belt and the pully and bracket that he says goes with the tiller. did i get taken? i don't think i did. what is that little blade outfit for?

i lost that paper that had the number on it, i'll go look at the number tomorrow. i think that may be all i need. right now any way. thanks to all. Gary

I have heard that umbrellas are priceless the pulley setup can bring $100 and the small blade probably fits under the tractor between the front and back wheels, it can be used for leveling purposes, if all there including hitch easily worth another $100. If the tiller was included, stay away from post office other wise someone might recognize you.