Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hey Dan!

ehertzfeld

I know I could have emailed you but I figured Id ask here incase others have one or would like to make one. I got another gararge tent, so I'm using it for storage. To keep it some what organized, I'm using pallets. Sooooooooooooooo I would like to make a fork lift. I'm thinking of one for the back. I'm not using a rack, the pallets are just on the groung, so I dont need it to go very high. I remember that Dan had made on for the back of his Big 10. I used it my self at the GOTO last year. However I didn't get a good look at it. If you could I would love to see how you made it. Hopefully you didnt trear it apart to make your newer one. Well thanks Elon

This auction is ending soon, but maybe you could get some ideas. http://cgi.ebay.com/john-deere-3-pt-brinly-forks-140-318-garden-mower-jd_W0QQitemZ7707573809QQcategoryZ82240QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is all made from scrap I had laying around. The main frame is 2 pieces of 2" angle with 2 pieces of flat stock between. The distance between the angles is the same as the outer tabs on the tractor of your choice ;) (8 1/4" the pic is wrong, not 10") Then 2 smaller pieces of angle welded to the flat stock to bolt the lift rod to. The lift rod is 10" center to center of the holes, and the holes are 90 degrees from each other. The lower arms are 13" long. I built this with the forks level on the ground in the down position. The shorter top link makes them tilt when lifted.

These forks are made from 2x2 square tube. (a little light for me, I need to reinforce the corners) My pipe happens to be 1", with the short pieces welded to the fork uprights just large enough to slide over the one inch. I drilled holes to drop bolts in to keep the forks from sliding together or sliding off. More holes would make the width adjustable.

Your welcome to copy the design exactly, or modify it to suit your needs and/or availability of scrap ;) It wont lift standard pallets (42 x 48) because of the weight and length. I take standard pallets and cut them in half so they are 42 wide and 24 long. I also use some that I cut down to 24 long by 32 wide. (great for tillers blowers and plow blades) ;) On an "armstrong" lift, 150# is about the limit (of my arm) and on the hydro lift its on now, 200# is doable :D Steering gets a little "light" on either tractor, but i havent needed to add front weight yet either. :D:D On the B 12 with the manual lift, it went about 11" off the ground. On the DA hydro lift, it only goes about 8" but that is likely because I have a B series lift and a homemade cable. [:0] Like any other good A/C attachment, it goes on with 3 pins. }:) It aint pretty, but you saw how well it worked at GOTO ;);) Any questions just ask.