Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb med.

Storm7012

Well, in the next few days I'll be tring to rebuild my frist carb. Its on a 16hp briggs,1975 7016 I'm playing with. I looking for any tips you guys may have for a frist timer. My kit will be in at the town NAPA tomorrow. Thanks Storm7012

As JJ says the main jet needs to come out before separating the throttle body from the bowl however, these can be orniry to remove so be prepared to use an easy out. Also beware that a screw driver removing the jet can shave enough of the threads off to cause them to strip out on reassembly.(Hint: use a screw driver that is straight not angled). Some of these carbs used a rubber seal in the needle seat don't forget to replace it if it has one. One last thing that I can think of right now is to be sure the main jet is fully seated in the housing. When properly tightened the jet forms a seal to the carb body which keeps the fuel bowl from leaking down and onto your garage floor. Good luck!

Storm, As Reed stated,using the correct screwdriver removing/tightening the brass jet may well prevent you from destroying the carb. Use a "cabinet tip"-flatblade 1/4" width instead of trying to use a narrower "keystone tip" type blade. See pics:

KEYSTONE-TIP

CABINET-TIP Make sure the tip is ground square,not worn/rounded, etc (ie new condition). Tom(PK)