Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow removal question

RickS

I know it is early, but I am starting to prepare the winter toys for use. I have a 3416H with ag tires front and rear; with the fronts reversed for steering. The 3416 also has rear wheel weights. I also have 7012H with turf tires on the rear and sno-hog tires on the front. The 7012H does have the rear lift and sleave hitch. This is set to carry weights. I have also reversed the lift to the rear so the weights help raise the front blower or plow. For snow removal I have a 42 inch blower, a 42 inch plow, and a 46 inch blow. In the past I have put the blower on the 7012 and the plow on the 3416. Given the horsepower rating of the two tractors and the tire setup, which tractor would you run the plow on and which tractor would you run the blower on. My driveway is 1/4 pavement and 3/4 dirt. My current plan is to put tire chains on the tractor with the blower. I know with the plow I will spin the tires and don't want to damage my pavement. Again I know it is early, but if I put the blower on the 3416 I will need to rebuild the front pto clutch. I want to use the fall to order the parts that I will need. Thanks for your help and I don't mean to speed winter on, I still have not finished with my summer. Rick........

Rick, last winter was my first with my 7117H and blower on my blacktop drive. I grew up running an Allis 716H with blower on gravel. On gravel I would reverse quickly and spin the tires and dig gravel, and I did the same on my blacktop, the chains did mark up the drive a little bit. As long if you did not reverse as hard as I do I doubt you would have much spinning on the pavement, no more than with the plow.

I've required more horsepower when I blow snow than when I plow. I've plowed with an old david bradley with a 3HP motor and it had pleanty of power left!

Rick, I also prefer lugs on the tractor with a blade on it, since some spinning is inevitable when plowing... Why not just swap the rear tires/wheels for the winter?

I use AG tires (without chains) on the tractor with the blade. I use turf tires with chains on the tractor with the blower.

I use turff tires with chains on my7016 with the blower and ag tires with chains on the 3410 with the plow. Both tear things up a little bid but not bad.

My 712H has a 42" plow.I use a 2110 with a 36" blower.Both have chains,and I use counterweights on the 2110 top help lift the blower.Works out great!