Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity SunStar 20hp approx 1988

Dave

I am interested in adding a three point hitch to my tractor. There is all sorts of three point hitch info on the net but I couldn't find a good resource to match a hitch kit to this tractor. Ultimately, I want to hitch a small backhoe to the tractor. The thing is in great shape, and I would rather spend a few thousand on used equipment for this tractor that buying a new Legacy and backhoe for much much more. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Welcome Dave! I am aware of only one 3-point that will fit the Sunstar, and that is the one from Simplicity.

As for the backhoe, I don't know if anybody that made one for the Sunstar. I thought Kwik-way did but have never been able to find out any info on it. My dealer checked his old books, called his sources, and found nothing as well.

I too would like to add a 3-point hitch to my sunstar, but it is no longer available as a kit, you have to order as parts. Also as far as other attachments such as a backhoe or loader, try contacting Schwartz Manufacturing(also called SMC/Alamo), they made the OEM loaders for Simplicity to fit the sunstars.

My loader was made by Kwik-Way. [img]/club2/attach/comet66/resized%20%284%29.JPG[/img] They also make the loader and a backhoe for the Legacy. Very pricey, but this set up with the four wheel drive sure would be a handy trencher.

I too have the same loader and had been told it was a Kwik-Way. I recently tried contacting Kwik-Way about this loader and they informed me they never made a sunstar loader and only reacently started making the legacy loaders. This info sent me back to Simplicity and the researched it and found that the sunstar and original legacy loaders were made by Schwartz Manufacturing. I have contacted Schwartz/SMC and they said it is there loader(SMC loaders have a square corner bucket, Kwik-Way's are rounded).

John that 3 pt and your tractor looks great. I've mowed with my Ultima 1920s all summer. They are very smooth.

quote:
Originally posted by a-cman
I too have the same loader and had been told it was a Kwik-Way. I recently tried contacting Kwik-Way about this loader and they informed me they never made a sunstar loader and only reacently started making the legacy loaders. This info sent me back to Simplicity and the researched it and found that the sunstar and original legacy loaders were made by Schwartz Manufacturing. I have contacted Schwartz/SMC and they said it is there loader(SMC loaders have a square corner bucket, Kwik-Way's are rounded).
Another day....Another lesson!! I took the original owners info as good, if I ever need to contact the man. of this unit you just saved me a lot of time. I'll delve a little further into it now. Thanks!!