Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tranny/BGB oil Q

Boney

In the Manual it says to use "multi-purpose hydraulic/transmission oil" in both the BGB and tranmission. Where are you guys getting this type of oil? I have looked around and have not been able to find it. Putting it in a 725. Thnx Herm

Translate that to mean 85-90W Gear Oil from Walmart, NAPA or any auto parts store... They used a thinner oil in the later tractors, but the earlier one used plain old gear oil... Note that a synthetic gear oil would improve cold weather starting and performance, but would also cost considerably more...

Thnx Kent, looks like I will be getting a couple of quarts of Synthetic 90 gear oil. Is 2 quarts enough? Thnx Herm

quote:
Originally posted by Boney
Thnx Kent, looks like I will be getting a couple of quarts of Synthetic 90 gear oil. Is 2 quarts enough? Thnx Herm
16 oz in the BGB and 48 oz in the tranny

Is the 80-90W gear oil preferred over the Simplicty multi-purpose hydraulic oil in the BGB for the late model large frame hydrostatic trans tractors? I know the recommendation in the late model large frame tractors was the multi-purpose hydraulic oil. It's interesting that Boney's manual for the 725 would specify the multi-purpose hyd oil, since I believe that my B-210 specifies gear oil for the trans and BGB. I seem to remember reading something a while back that suggested that the gear oil tended to cling to the gears and bearings better and might be better when operating on hills. I've been thinking on draining the MP hyd oil and refilling with gear oil. Does anyone have any thoughts?