Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear Lift? (Am I Right)

Bunky

The lift cable for the 900/7100 tractors is longer than the cable for the 700/7000. The distance from the rockshaft to rear lift is longer on the 900/7100 tractors. There are different part numbers for these cables.

I didn't think there was any length difference between the rockshaft and lift on the 700 and 900 series. I thought the difference was because they used the different rockshafts. The 700 series tractors do not have the rockshaft that allows you to reverse the lift directions, or at least my two don't. Just bought a rockshaft from a 7112 to replace the one in my 716H so that I can make the rear lift work opposite the front instead of both raising at the same time.

Ah, Rod, you are working on a good thing. :) I'm much happier with my Sovereign since I switched the lift direction. Now I have to modify the mower deck lift on my 7013S. :(

Roy, It is the rear lift that was aggravating me. I am not using that tractor for mowing, but I wanted the rear lift to go down when I pulled back and up when I pushed forward so that the lift moved in the same direction as the hydro lever. Thanks for your help. I ended up paying $25 for a lift shaft from a 7112 and $15 for shipping. May be a little high in price, but I wanted it changed. It will also give me a little more throw than I am currently getting with the homemade cable and pulley. My cable wedges into the pulley before the cylinder bottoms out. When I reverse the direction and remove the pulley, this won't happen.

quote:
Originally posted by a-cman
The lift cable for the 900/7100 tractors is longer than the cable for the 700/7000. The distance from the rockshaft to rear lift is longer on the 900/7100 tractors. There are different part numbers for these cables.
I don't beleive that is entirely correct( famous last words). The 900/7100 series were lengthened about 3" , but the length was added to the front end, not the back. The 3400/700/7000 series tractors used a cable with fixed ends on both ends. I think with the 900/7100 series they began using a adjustable end on the rear end of the cable. I have however, used both types of cables on all models. Persoanlly I like the adjustable ends best as you can alter the amount of travel up or down of the lift. I belive you can adust overall length of the cable to the same size as the earlier fixed end ones or make it longer by simply screwing the end in or out.