Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

sears custom 6 WOULD YOU BELIEVE?

iweld

Went over to my grampa's place tonight to mow. We were doing it with his 20hp wheel horse and my dads 10 hp landlord and my 67 landlord. My landlord is getting very tired so we left it to home. Since my wife and daughter were on the two I thought I might piddle with the old Sears that has been sitting in the barn for 20+ years. A couple of weeks ago I drizzled some gas down the breather and pulled the rope. To my astonishment, it gave a bit of a run. I didn't think too much of it because that can happen. But tonight I thought I would put some gas in it and see what I could do. The tank seemed clean and dry and it has a good screen for the outlet. I figured the float needle would be stuck, but it didn't come pouring out, so.. I pulled about a dozen times and the thing takes of and runs like it ran last week!! No cough and catch or snap and pop, RUN. I laughed in spite of myself. I drove it over to the shop about 60' to air up the tires. Left it run and then decided to see if it could mow. Besides linkages being stiff and the like it mowed fine for about 15 mins untill I decided it better go back in the shop and get the oil drained. I believe it deserves the oil change after all these years. I can't believe the belts still hold together as well as the tires. After all this time... And I can't keep mice out of my 67 landlord for ONE WINTER!

I have a Custom 6 that sits outside under a cover and had a similar history as yours. Starts everytime and does what its supposed to do. The Custom 8, however, needs an exorcism ....