Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3314v back from Hustler, Wi pull

a7117puller

1000# stock, used the 3314v for first time...in the rain. 150 some feet, placed 4th, 2nd gear, plenty of power..high idle, about 2400-2600 rpm or there abouts. tractor started to hop and lost ability to steer, lil light on the front, but had about 240# on the weight bar. pulled against toned down modifieds. for a budget tractor..not bad. just need to finish the hood and maybe some wheelie bars and a better hitch.:DOh, "All i see is red and green stuff everywhere. what the heck is this? christmas?"

Adam, I was thinking of using a 7112 6 speed for pulling. I know that you have played with this a while, Which simplicity tranny do you like? I was going to put a 12-16 hp engine in it.

I'm in the process of make a puller out of a 3410. I took the regular 3speed out and replaced it with a 3 speed variable. I removed the variable pulleis and put on solid one. Then out came the stock 10hp. After some cutting and welding in a new engine pan, I can put in the 18hp opposed twin I have. I'm painting the frame now but as soon as I can I'll bolt eh engine in and snap a pic. Elon

Ambler, I dont much on the 6 speed, srry. I've been using hydros and that 3spd variable. havent got a 4 speed shuttle to a pull yet, so dont know how those do. The 3spd variable seems to work pretty good. Didn't lag the engine much at all, didn't run out of power. And I'll remember to take a camera along to a pull someday, lol. Havent been in many pulls, been busy working.

6=speed works great for pulling. I convinced a friend to take a stock 716-6 and start pulling with it. He placed his first time out against tractors that have been pulling for years. Now in his 2nd year he is leading points with the tractor. Note: I started pulling (8 years ago) with a 3314V and the variable worked good with 12hp engine. I tried it with a 20hp and the belt slipped. ac7117 - why were you spinning only 2600 rpms? I always spin the engines the max. that the rules will allow. This will get you the max hp and the fastest wheel speed.

A 3-speed is all that you need for pulling. Nobody pulls hydros anymore in our area. They just can't compete with the manual trannys, because of the amount of wasted power with a hydro. I've never pulled with a shuttle. Don't know if you could keep the belts from slipping. I had enough problems with a 3-speed. The drive belt was always a problem. They didn't break, but I had to keep after them to prevent major amounts of slippage.

Rod, We use a straight 3-spd in both pullers and have never slipped the belt (we are using '4L' size belts and non-stock pulleys). The shuttle will not work unless you bolt the large inner and outer sheaves together (this will not allow you to use reverse) with a 1/4" bolt, otherwise the belt will slip.

Looks like the 7112 six speed is it. I have a 14 hp Kohler or 16 hp Briggs to put in it. Kohler is easier because wiring and exhausts remain the same.

Ambler, if the Briggs and Kohler are in similar condition...go with the Kohler. They are both the same cu. in. and you can get more air/fuel into the Kohler for pulling.

Ambler, Check the rules from the organization you are going to pull with. In the SVTPA, a 14 and a 16 will pull in different classes. You should always build the tractor to match the rules of the class you are going to pull in.

Sorry, been busy cleaning parts and painting(3416s)(and some other shortframe). Mike, I didnt know what rpm I was turning with it till I had it teched that night. But that was its first pull, and the tractor sits around most of the time otherwise, unless I need to use it. I'm goin to play around with the govenor on it, and get the rpms checked again. And why not port/flow a briggs and make a header tube and mount a bored kohler carb on it?:D ?..Is the 4speed shuttle rearend nothing more than a 3spd...or the housings all about the same? And anyone have a manual trans with linkages they want to get rid of or swap?:D

Adam, I've never had one apart, but I have been told that the shuttle tranny is the same as a 3-speed, only it has reverse removed and another forward gear installed. If you do like mike says, above, I'm sure one would work fine, just wouldn't have reverse. Where we pull, reverse is required on a stock tractor. Only the pro-stocks and modifieds can pull without reverse. When I first started pulling a modified (motorcycle engine) I didn't have reverse. We were only allowed one helper on the track. I had to pull onto the track. Shut off the tractor (rules require a driver in the seat when an engine is running), get off the tractor to help my son push it back to the sled, then get back on and re-start the tractor, before I was ready to pull. Sometimes track officials would help, so that I didn't have to shut the tractor down and get off. Sure was a lot nicer when I put reverse into that tractor by adding a second tranny behind the first. 20 speeds forward, 5 in reverse.