Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

USed up a coulple of free Murrays today

SmilinSam

Got a couple of free Murray riders today. Not run of the mill ones either. Guy was cleaning out his shed and gave me a 18hp and 14hp powered units, both IC Opposed twin cylinders. Tranny was junk in the 14 and starter was bad on the 18. Took the 14 out and dropped it in the 5216 Simplicity I have here. Squirted gas in the carb and it fired. but wouldnt stay running. Gave the carb my standard cleanout and it fired up on its own. Gave it a test tonight and mowed about an acre and a half of heavy wet 8" tall grass in 4th gear out of 6. Never bogged down with the 36" deck blowing grass about 6 feet away from the mower. Id say that engine is pretty good. Kid took the 18 and put it on a Broadmoor 707 chasis. Has to wait for a starter to come along next before he can do much with it. Amazing thing is that I sat the 26hp craftsman engine under the bench after deciding not to use it due to time needed to find and fabricate an exaust system and to locate/make a pulley or clutch arrangement to work on it. Figured I'd just wait for a more suitable engine to come along. Just pushed the tractor into the back when the phone rang......;)

You can't have too many spare engines. I have a complete 16HP CI Briggs to support my Lanlord and Soverigns, an 18 HP IC Briggs horizontal flathead twin for repower possibilities and a 12HP IC vertical long block for the 728. My engine of choice has been the 16HP CI. I now have three, two in tractor and one spare.

I got two 16 CI Briggs under the bench and a 10 CI also. No tractors to put them in though. They dont fit in Cub Cadets, and thats all I have been getting for some time now it seems. Cant remember when I laST got a pick up call for a 7000 or 7100 or similar series...