Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lawn help

Boney

STICKS and STICKS I am getting a new lawn and it is STICK heaven. Has anyone here had this sistuation and how did you get up the sticks. I am trying to figure out if there is some attachment that will not cost me a arm and a leg to get that will help me rake up the sticks and some rocks. Thnx for any help

Herm if there are not too many rocks I'd pick them up by hand,then get a set of old used blades for the mower and chop the heck out of the sticks. After a couple of rounds the sticks will be compost and you can put on good blades and mow away.

The sticks and roots are in dirt, there is no grass, it is a new lawn. Thnx a bunch for the help. I am thinking of renting a Yourk rake to do this,,,,,any comments about this?

A York rake would probably be your best bet. I was in a similar situation, (re-landscaped yard, dirt rocks and roots everywhere), but I chose the old by hand method and collected them with a wheelbarrow for dumping. Keep in mind that my yard is only 1 acre, (and only my front and side yards were worked on), making it managable for me. The last time I used a York rake, I found myself ripping up chunks of dirt as the soil was very moist although no where near soaked. This was about 10 years ago and I was new to using a York rake. As much as I love using my equipment, there are times when the old by hand method works best. Just my own experience of course.

I called Taylor Rental and they want $30 for a York Rake for the day. Sounds like by hand and a Yourk rake will be the way to go. Thnx all for your help

On my grass,I use apull behind thatch remover I bought at Lowes.It gets sticks,thatch,leaves,just about anything!8)

I've been using a tow behind dethatcher,works great for what your doing,costs a little more than double the price of renting a york,but you will have other uses for it down the road.